[SOLVED] mSATA 256GB: use as cache or OS storage

Mar 1, 2020
All in One Dell 2720 I7-4770 16GB Ram 2 TB 7200 RPM HD. I removed a mSATA 32GB SSD as it failed. It was being used as a HDD cache using Intel Smart Response Technology. I have a larger 256 GB SSD mSata ordered and arriving soon. Initial plan was to load the OS (windows 10) and some program files on the SSD. I'm wondering if it would be easier just to use the 256 GB mSATA as a cache (64GB limited by SRT). This would keep system configuration to a minimum with the use of one drive letter although I could use the additional space not used as the 64GB cache as file storage with another drive letter. From what I can determine by searching, is using the SSD in either fashion has almost the identical performance once the cache has been filled with recently used files if used as a HDD cache. Not a gamer, and I tend to be an average user with some web site development, but typically nothing to graphically intense.

I already have seen how to set up the mSATA in each configuration so I don't need help with that.

Solution
You'll have the 256GB mSATA, and a 2TB HDD?

Have the SSD as the OS and application drive, the HDD for all that other stuff where speed does not matter.
Mar 1, 2020
That's what I was thinking, but with the cache you also get faster speed results on files that you may have put on the HDD assuming you use them and they are in the cache first. I do have 256GB mSATA and 2 TB HDD.