[SOLVED] mSATA for HP Pavilion dv6t-7000

Nitromon

Honorable
Feb 14, 2015
Hi,

I just want one for storage and since it already come with a mSATA port, I thought I get one.

The manual said a 32GB mSATA III 6gb/s. But the part number is discontinued.

I tried 2 different HP parts of the same size and spec, one is 1A the other is 1.5A, both did not work. 1 didn't show up at all, the other showed up as corrupted.

So there must be some other criteria I'm unaware of when it comes to compatibility? can someone help me out? What mSATA can I get for this laptop that is compatible?

I don't want to put OS on it or boot from it. I don't want to use it as cache for the Intel Rapid Storage. I just it as spare space.

Thanks!

Solution
I've never had any experience of setting up a new drive as a cache drive I'm afraid. All I know is what I've already told you about not being able to use it for extra storage space..

Hi,

Thank you so much for trying to help. I finally resolved the issue and I like to post the results here in case anyone out there searched and found this.

The problem was actually buying eBay used crap. I'm not joking, the 2 I bought earlier were both used and both didn't work. One was not detected in BIOS and the other one had a bad firmware. I thought it was compatibility issues, but several people assured me it is not and that any mSATA III should work with the mSATA port.

I tested it first with a cheap generic China brand that was new. It...

Nitromon

Honorable
Feb 14, 2015
Drive connected to mSATA in this laptop can only be used as a memory cache (that's why the HP drives for it are such low capacity, relatively speaking).

Hi, Thanks for the response. So any 32GB mSATA III 6gb/s will work? Does the ampere matter?

I'm good with just a 32GB, but I just don't know what are the criteria for a replacement.

Let's simplify it a bit. How do I get a 32GB mSATA to be used as a cache for this drive as it was intended? I assume then it would just be plug and play. I have RST installed, but the 1st one I bought (695867-001 at 1A ) was not recognized in the bios at all. Completely invisible.

The 2nd one (680404-001 at 1.5A) started with SMART warning and "imminent failure" warning. Once in the Win, it said only 1GB and I could do nothing with it. In RST it show it exist, but again, the accelerate button was not there.

I assume either I just got a busted one or it is incompatible.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Nitromon

Honorable
Feb 14, 2015
All I know is the info I've already given you which I gleaned from HP forum.

Now, in your first post you said "I don't want to use it as cache" but that's all it can be used for if another storage device is present. So why the continued interest?

Oh, because you said it could only be used as a cache, so I might as well get one to use as a cache. It's an old laptop, I just want to push it to its full potential.

Nitromon

Honorable
Feb 14, 2015
I've never had any experience of setting up a new drive as a cache drive I'm afraid. All I know is what I've already told you about not being able to use it for extra storage space..

Hi,

Thank you so much for trying to help. I finally resolved the issue and I like to post the results here in case anyone out there searched and found this.

The problem was actually buying eBay used crap. I'm not joking, the 2 I bought earlier were both used and both didn't work. One was not detected in BIOS and the other one had a bad firmware. I thought it was compatibility issues, but several people assured me it is not and that any mSATA III should work with the mSATA port.

I tested it first with a cheap generic China brand that was new. It instantly worked. Then I bought a larger size name brand one at 0.65A and it worked great! Low power, less heat.

Also, to use the mSATA in this laptop as a 2nd drive, simply turn off "Acceleration" in Intel RST. In my system, the default was already disabled, so I didn't really have to do anything, plugged it in and it just worked.

Thanks again!

Solution