mSata SSD pcie slot

Aug 18, 2018
Code:
Hi I have a Samsung PM851 msata SSD 50mm which I put into a pcie x1 slot using a pcie express card adaptor.

No issues my dell vostro 3900 detects the msata SSD , I even installed windows 10 clean install.

But problem is it won’t boot from the device now. I have tried bios settings for Botha Uefi and Legacy...

I keep getting hard drive failure press F1 to continue.

Please help, is it possible to boot windows from msata SSD installed in pcie slot

Solution

If it is a SATA III port, doesn't matter if it is a DVD drive or an SSD.
If it is something else...only your motherboard user manual knows for sure.
Aug 18, 2018

Was a clean install , I removed all other attached HDD. It detects the Msata SSD in the bios when I Select Legacy MODE , only problem is it wont Boot up into Windows from it...

If I connect the other HHD drive ( that has original windows OS and let it boot from that HDD in Uefi mode - prefect my PC starts up and boots into Windows 10 no problem - BUT now the Msata SSD is found as a "Drive" in disk management (it even has the healthy boot partition)? Weird

Aug 18, 2018

Thanks , was kinda thinking the same. Can I purchase a mSata to SSD enclousure and then connect it to a ODD port on my motherboard and then boot windows from their?

https://www.bidorbuy.co.za/item/348092252/7mm_Ultrathin_mSATA_to_2_5_SATA_3_SSD_Adapter_Case_Black_Green.html?gclid=CjwKCAjwh9_bBRA_EiwApObaOL3e577iko3xqgPYdSCOONAsjcBk8F9QCIP1jvueWsDymUH-5vQgfRoCCEcQAvD_BwE

USAFRet

Titan

This is a desktop system?
If so, just connect it to a regular SATA port on the motherboard.

Aug 18, 2018

Aug 18, 2018

Aug 18, 2018
I already have two hard drives connected to my desktops two available SATA HDD ports, and I have a DVD drive connected to the one ODD, thus I only have ONE open ODD port still available - will that work and will I get normal 6GB/s speed type ie +- 200 to 300 read and write speeds?

USAFRet

Titan

If it is a SATA III port, doesn't matter if it is a DVD drive or an SSD.
If it is something else...only your motherboard user manual knows for sure.

Solution