[SOLVED] MSATA very slow, degraded ssd?

Nov 1, 2020
I'm going to start with my equipment first to paint the picture. Msi gaming g45 z97 mobo, i5 4690k, kingston savage 2400 ddr3, visiontek 120g MSATA, SEAGATE 1tb hdd and a Western blue 1tb hdd.

My issue started with transferring pictures from my ssd to hdd. I noticed the transfer rates were no higher than 40MBs a second with an average low of just a few kilobytes. I did the same transfer between hdds and the transfer rate was exactly what was to be expected but nothing stellar, right around a 100MBs a second.

I feel given the age of my system it should still be faster than it is and the ssd transfer rate of the ssd is dismal. I did a speed test and the write and read is where is should be but random r and w are below 100mb. Is this the sign of degradation? I'm at a loss of what it could be since it was never like this before.

Solution
Just removed 2 more slow drives. Popped portable ssd on to transfer a file and it too was transferring at 20MB to low kb. This ssd is hooked up via usbc to usb into my usb 3.0 port in the back, this one is only about a week old. I also tried to do a transfer internally in that same ssd to folder inside it and it would only again do 15MB. What gives?
Reading and writing to the same drive will also be 'slower' than the uber benchmark number.
It is trying to do two things at once.

Also, the composition of you are reading/writing has an impact.
Many small files WILL transfer slower than one single large file.
Nov 1, 2020
SSD <-> HDD
Performance is dictated by the slowest device in the chain.

Here, the HDD.

The initial speed you see is the cache on the HDD. Once that fills up....slow.
That makes sense. I removed an older 350g caviar model from the chain maybe that will do it. If not there is also a Western green eco that was free in there unused too. Thank you.

Nov 1, 2020
Just removed 2 more slow drives. Popped portable ssd on to transfer a file and it too was transferring at 20MB to low kb. This ssd is hooked up via usbc to usb into my usb 3.0 port in the back, this one is only about a week old. I also tried to do a transfer internally in that same ssd to folder inside it and it would only again do 15MB. What gives?

USAFRet

Titan
Reading and writing to the same drive will also be 'slower' than the uber benchmark number.
It is trying to do two things at once.

Also, the composition of you are reading/writing has an impact.
Many small files WILL transfer slower than one single large file.

Solution