MSDos getting a NTVDM.EXE has stopped working

catfishhoward

Honorable
Jun 13, 2017
When I click on my C:\SU\SU.EXE it tries to open in the black dos screen then the popup MTVDM.EXE window starts and says"A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available."

I ran sfc /scannow and it came back "Windows resource protection did not find any integrity violations" so I don't know what to try next.

This is a new build, I originally had Window 7 64-bit on the system with a VMware Window xp 32 and the program ran just fine but I then decided to go to Window 7 32-bit because none of my program from the other computer would run on the 64-bit (which i'm okay with since I don't game so please lets not talk about going back to 64). I do have a two windows folders now? one called Windows.old so I don't know if that could be a problem. I ran the window 7 32 iso from the 64 system instead of starting new?

Solution
What is this SU.EXE that is having the issue? If it's a program you are using, did you check with whoever made the program?

The other Windows folder gets created when you re-install Windows on a hard drive without formatting it first, it moves the original installation to that folder so you don't lose something by mistake. You are talking about some XP in VMware, are you talking about running that SU.EXE from inside the XP virtual machine?

catfishhoward

Honorable
Jun 13, 2017

SU.EXE or Survey Systems 1.1c is a 30 year old program at runs in MS Dos for land survyors. It should run on systems up to Window 7 as long as it's 32-bit. I have XP in VMware on my Window 7 and the program works in the VMware XP but is to slow for me to use so I'm trying to open in directly from Windows 7 which I get the error?

Your best bet is with whoever wrote that program, that error looks to be specific to that program. You can try running it under compatibility mode for XP when running it in Win 7. The issue you are seeing is not from DOS or from the system, it's the program that is running.

Solution