MSFT Donates 'Ultimate Gamerooms' to Sick Kids

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

What's wrong for some terminally ill child to play a xbox game?

curnel_D

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2007
At 10,000 a pop, these hospitals could afford to put one in every floor without thought, if they can prove that the rooms are considerably raising spirits.

climber

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2009
Since this is donating to charity, shouldn't they be able to write this off on their corporate taxes? They should also up it to dual 22" screens for those PC's...

burnley14

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
How can people possibly criticize them for being cheap? If they hadn't offered to build any of these centers, no one would have said anything. I applaud their generosity, regardless of whether they could afford to give 1000 times more. Microsoft is in it for the money, that's the nature of the beast, but that doesn't mean we should complain that their donation is not enough.

D2ModPlayer

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2007
I'm sure frequent readers have heard the news about all the difficulties Microsoft has had financially. It's going to matter to them despite being multibillionaires dollars. Getting fined by the EU daily, needing to pull Word. A number of their product lines don't often even make much money. Maybe some of it is still their fault but things aren't going as well as they were. I applaud their donations. I also think sick kids are more generous then most and would applaud any hospital that wins. The article did say they'd already contributed an x-box to all of them and considering they probably already had one or 2 game machines (when I went into surgery they had a whole arcade) that's pretty significant. Way to go Microsoft!

G

Okay guys c'mon. Instead of criticizing Microsoft, can't you just be nice to them for once. This is an incredibly generous thing to do and although I don't agree with the voting, you don't see Nintendo, Sony, or Apple giving their stuff away for free for sick children.

TeKEffect

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2009
Everyone here could afford to send the hospitals $20 but I doubt many of you have. Good job Microsoft. Bill Gates gives more to charity than anyone else. If theres one area not to pick on microsoft its charity

kingnoobe

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2008
Give me a break.. Charity is charity.. It's better to give a little then to give a lot. And instead of putting down microsoft why not give them idea's. Maybe have this type of thing every 6-12 months. And has sony done this? Seriously don't never hear about sony.

Give somebody an inch, and they want a mile..

Terminally ill child need to waste time playing xbox 360 video games instead of sharing their last moments with their family that support them...

Thank you Microsoft, once again you are showing what humanity is all about...

kangkong

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2009
Haha, oh man this is funny, all this MS bashing. Seriously, I'm willing to bash MS like the next guy but for charity work, I give MS a pat on the back. They have done a lot, besides this to charity all over not just here in the US. People bashing MS for this is pathetic and most likely have never donated to a thing in their life.

IzzyCraft

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2008
1.7m is nothing to them haha i love how stupid that statement is like 5 bil is nothing to intel. Consider they would have forked over 1.7m but just think of it as they already did to not sick kids pirating Microsoft Office and windows. Microsoft is not at all poor and 1.7m is a small drop in their annual working income of something like 20 billion a year but still they are shelling out some nice things.

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
[citation][nom]tekeffect[/nom]Everyone here could afford to send the hospitals $20 but I doubt many of you have. Good job Microsoft. Bill Gates gives more to charity than anyone else. If theres one area not to pick on microsoft its charity[/citation]
^+1
Nicely said.

So, all I gotta do is start dieing for that?

backbydemand

Distinguished
May 26, 2008
It doesn't matter if it is 1.7 million or 30 grand, no matter what they give to charity there will always be people who say "Microsoft can afford way more than that".

They don't have to give anything to charity, where is the hospital donation from Apple, or Sony, or Nintendo? Say what you like about Microsoft but Bill Gates is the worlds biggest donator to charity. Period. Last year he spent $3.3 Billion, this year he has $3.8 Billion earmarked. It just goes to show that he has ingrained Microsoft with a sense of public service before he left. So only $30,000 went to these hospitals, can any provide me with a list of the number of other charity projects they donate to and the total combined funds allocated to these?

I know that in 2006 they passed the $2.5 billion mark since 1983, that's an average of around $100 million every year. They don't have to give any of that money away but they do. So to all the Microsoft haters, grow up.

Status
Not open for further replies.