MSFT is Hiring A Fistful of Xbox Hardware Devs

Status
Not open for further replies.

roofus

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2008
[citation][nom]Trialsking[/nom]Yay the next generation of dumbed down...[/citation]

Nobody can argue the sentiment there Trials. The reality is that the console market has a much larger consumer base than PC gaming. I don't like it either but I welcome any advances in console gaming that would bring better titles to PC. If we have to "eat out of the trash" so to speak, at least it will be better trash. :)

g0rilla

Distinguished
May 15, 2007
"Microsoft is hiring up a storm for its Xbox department, leading to speculation that the company is already planning for the next console in the Xbox family."

Already planning?! What's it been? 6 years since the 360 came out? So we're looking at an 8 year life span before the next console come out. That's like 200 in computer years

fyasko

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2010
good thing i bought a 2600k gaming PC, at least now i can game in full HD. it's amazing that MSFT has just now started to develop a new console. at least we have zune and kinect...

g0rilla

Distinguished
May 15, 2007
[citation][nom]g0rilla[/nom]"Microsoft is hiring up a storm for its Xbox department, leading to speculation that the company is already planning for the next console in the Xbox family."Already planning?! What's it been? 6 years since the 360 came out? So we're looking at an 8 year life span before the next console come out. That's like 200 in computer years[/citation]

Just checked Wikipedia which says:
"With the announcement of the Xbox 360 S, Microsoft have said that they believe that the console is only mid-way through its life-cycle and will continue through 2015."

Damn.

mobrocket

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2011
[citation][nom]g0rilla[/nom]Just checked Wikipedia which says:"With the announcement of the Xbox 360 S, Microsoft have said that they believe that the console is only mid-way through its life-cycle and will continue through 2015."Damn.[/citation]

However, that could just mean how long they support it, kind of how PS2 was still supported while the PS3 was out.

I just am hoping for flash memory / ssd storage and possibly stream like service...

11796pcs

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2011
Hmm... it would be nice if MSFT actually put some effort into making PC games and furthering the industry instead of abandoning the platform they CREATED and closing down successful game studios (ex. Ensemble). Sure I'm glad they are making advances in the consoles but I agree with g0rilla that an 8 year life cycle is rediculous. It almost makes you want to give up upgrading you PC when you can run most games off of a C2D nowadays.

caeden

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2009
maybe they will find a better fix for the RROD other than removing the red ring? Who knows. I have never been much of a gamer, much less a console person, but I have to say both the X360 and PS3 are looking pretty old compared to my out of date computer, them bumping up to even the level of my aging machine would make me consider buying one, but I guess I will just have to wait.

Ragnar-Kon

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
[citation][nom]11796pcs[/nom]Hmm... it would be nice if MSFT actually put some effort into making PC games and furthering the industry instead of abandoning the platform they CREATED and closing down successful game studios (ex. Ensemble). Sure I'm glad they are making advances in the consoles but I agree with g0rilla that an 8 year life cycle is rediculous. It almost makes you want to give up upgrading you PC when you can run most games off of a C2D nowadays.[/citation]
[citation][nom]fyasko[/nom]it's amazing that MSFT has just now started to develop a new console.[/citation]
Actually I think this is a good thing. The fact that Microsoft has allowed the Xbox 360 to run at or near the top of the market for 6+ years is a huge plus in my book. I've always been a fan of products that have longevity and yet still have that "new" appeal. And I think Microsoft did that with the Xbox 360.

But I do agree with the PC gaming part. Closing down the successful Ensemble studios was a bad move in my book. And it feels like to me that the gaming development studios (with the exception of Blizzard and DICE) have essentially abandoned the PC market in favor of the console market. Thats all fine and dandy, but giving PC users a crappy port of the console version of the game is stupid. Thats almost like when Blizzard attempted to port Warcraft and Starcraft to the N64, its just a bad idea.
It doesn't bother me so much that consoles are getting good games, it is just disappointing to see my long-time favorite PC game series (such as Rainbow Six, Call of Duty, Crysis, etc.) get sucked into the console world, turned into crap, and then ported back to PC users.

Skippy27

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2009
They both have their advantages and disadvantages.

PC's allow things to improve much more quickly because they are not tied to, nor limited to a specific hardware that is not upgraded as often.

Consoles offer consistency in hardware so coders know exactly what the can and can't do and optimize accordingly. Consoles also greatly restrict modifications to games and thus cheating is minimized.

I personally just switched to consoles after a 3rd party device that allows 1:1 keyboard mouse use was released. I doubt I will be going back to PC's anytime soon because of the benefits I see in console over a PC.

adamboy64

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2010
There was talk initially (when Project Natal - aka 'Kinect' was being developed) about it being the codename for the new Xbox console.
I so wish it was.

Looks like we're waiting a few more years yet for another console.
That's just me whinging though, there is still quite a few good titles
I'm looking forward to this gen.

Obviously the visuals are outdated by the PC side of things, but that's to be expected.

NightLight

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2004
[citation][nom]sceen311[/nom]wonder if it'll have a blu-ray or if sony is going to hold onto that one.[/citation]

I wish they would drop optical media all together.

quiet

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2010
It looks to me like they want to release the platform to OEMs. Samsung/HP/Dell/Netgear Xbox anyone?

After all its a software company and making the hardware is expensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.