MSFT: 'Mature' Games Allowed in European Windows Store

Status
Not open for further replies.

wannabepro

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2011
It's a step in the right direction.
Now allow boot to desktop, add a start button, and give us the option to disable tiles.

And maybe remove the Windows Marketplace altogether and add in integration code for Steam.

ttg_Avenged

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2012
[citation][nom]wannabepro[/nom]It's a step in the right direction. Now allow boot to desktop, add a start button, and give us the option to disable tiles.And maybe remove the Windows Marketplace altogether and add in integration code for Steam.[/citation]

Translation: Just give up on WIN8 for desktops, and put out a good service pack for Win 7 :p

jonjonjon

Honorable
Sep 7, 2012
why do they now need to call everything an app. when i think of an app i think of a 99 cent garbage ios program. i dont want "apps" i want full featured professional programs and games.

myromance123

Honorable
Aug 17, 2012
[citation][nom]BigMack70[/nom]Don't like the implications of the presence of MSFT store in the OS... don't like it at all.There's a reason I don't own any Apple devices, and it's not just because I think they're overpriced.I really, REALLY hope that Steam gets up and running with some traction on Linux for gaming, and then I'm gone from Windows forever.[/citation]

I'm hoping the same. Looks like the Steam Linux Beta maybe next week during the UDS. It's an interesting turn of events, not something I thought would happen when I started using Ubuntu in 2008.

cercuitspark

Honorable
Oct 12, 2012
[citation][nom]wannabepro[/nom]It's a step in the right direction. Now allow boot to desktop, add a start button, and give us the option to disable tiles.And maybe remove the Windows Marketplace altogether and add in integration code for Steam.[/citation]

1) Why do you need a start button?

2) Go get Start8 from Stardock if you have to live in the past.

3) The Windows Store and Steam are two different things, they are not the same at all.

wannabepro

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2011
[citation][nom]cercuitspark[/nom]1) Why do you need a start button?2) Go get Start8 from Stardock if you have to live in the past.3) The Windows Store and Steam are two different things, they are not the same at all.[/citation]

1. What's wrong with the start button, I use it quite often.
2. M$ is actively trying to DISCOURAGE 3rd party start buttons.
3. Both Steam and Windows Store sell games.
You, my friend, should work on validity before sharing your ignorant views.

Onihikage

Honorable
Apr 29, 2012
Very smart of Microsoft to exclude one of the biggest markets just because a few American prudes might take offense to the MS store having M-rated games. They sure would have lost a lot of business from 5 people boycotting the MS store...

/s

cercuitspark

Honorable
Oct 12, 2012
[citation][nom]wannabepro[/nom]1. What's wrong with the start button, I use it quite often.2. M$ is actively trying to DISCOURAGE 3rd party start buttons. 3. Both Steam and Windows Store sell games. You, my friend, should work on validity before sharing your ignorant views.[/citation]

The button itself is still kinda there, it's the menu that is gone. Do you ever look at the start button when you use it? I've always just moved my cursor to the corner and clicked, haven't taken a single look at the button itself.

Classicshell and Start8 still work...

The Windows Store i mostly ment for ARM based stuff for Windows RT, but Microsoft are trying to make the tablet and desktop experience more like the same thing, so they have it for the desktop version too (and cus some tablets run x86). And there is still no problem with using Steam, MS ain't trying to get Valve out of the market...

cercuitspark

Honorable
Oct 12, 2012
[citation][nom]BigMack70[/nom]Here's my question: what does removing the start button entirely, even as an option, accomplish for a desktop user? Answer: nothing positive. If the goal is to eventually phase OUT the start menu, then disable it by default in Windows 8 while still leaving it as an option, and then in Windows 9 (or w/e it gets called), remove it entirely if people aren't using it.Their approach on Windows 8 is to force feed change to users without establishing any merit to the change other than "because I say so". And obviously Windows store + steam are different things. I personally don't want to see any app store bundled/coded into the OS.[/citation]

Well, I know. But after over a year without it i don't really care about the menu, it doesn't give me anything more than the star screen. I like the search function in the start screen a lot better than the one in the start menu, but with that said, there is nothing else with the start screen itself that gets me to use it. But i like the other ways the new UI goes together with the old one, for example how you connect to a wireless network.

I have to agree with the change thing, it's not always a good thing to force change upon someone, but sometimes it has to be done. I have heard that when Windows 95 came out, they said that the UI was unusable, but I'm not old enough to know... But I've got this quote from someone about Windows XP: "This new version of Windows is going to be a disaster. It will be completely rejected by businesses, who will stick with old versions even after Microsoft drops support for them.
And its new interface is so hideous and unusable that customers who are forced to use it will trip over themselves finding ways to restore the old Start menu
".

guardianangel42

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2010
You know what is really turning me off to Windows 8? The lack of gadgets. I use those a LOT for monitoring system usage, temperature, and network usage. It's a big problem for me that I have to go to task manager for that information because it means I have to stop doing what I'm doing.

It doesn't seem like a big problem, but it goes back to the idea that you never know how much something matters till its gone.

All across Windows 8 there's decisions that are so heavy handed. We want to phase out the start button so we'll just drop it completely. We want to phase out gadgets so we'll just drop it cold turkey. we want to be ready for the tablet reality so we'll design our OS on a tablet interface and ignore our entire established consumer base.

I understand where there trying to go with this and I even agree it was the right way, I just think the way the went about doing it was not the right way.

eiskrystal

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
So basically the criteria are that an "Mature" games won't be allowed unless it's going to make Microsoft a lot of money (i.e. the big titles)

Status
Not open for further replies.