MSFT Spending Half a Billion on Advertising for Windows 8

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
Uh... HOW do you think you can "disable Metro" upon installation? Thats rather hard as MS has specifically ripped out START MENU code.

You CANNOT use Win8-desktop without metro. You cannot use Metro without Win8 desktop. Look at this shit, we have to SPECIFY if you are in METRO or Desktop!

livebriand

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
[citation][nom]atavanhalen[/nom]Metro UI is a mess. But you can disable the feature upon installation, leaving you with the seven-esque interface.[/citation]
No you can't. I was originally hoping they'd let people disable it, but now I'm not so sure... They seem to have lost their minds lately. They probably figured that, since they listened to the customers and made Windows 7 a success, they need to go as far in the opposite direction as possible. You know, since they don't seem to have any common sense these days...

SmileyTPB1

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2006
I would prefer that MS had spent that $500 million on developing a great new OS instead of wasting it on promoting a new OS that is being almost universally reviewed as awful.

MS doesn't seem to understand that with their market dominance, if they make something great that everyone would want they wouldn't have to spend much money promoting it. It would promote itself instead.

scannall

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2012
While I prefer OS X over Windows, I have to admit Windows 7 got awfully close. After a couple months of Windows 8 preview, and the hell required to get it off my laptop I can easily say 8 is a major step backwards. And something I'll never buy.

How to delete e-mails. Metro vs Non-Metro e-mail app:

Metro applications have to be compatible with BOTH a mouse and finger in design. This means no right-click or other key combos like CTRL + left-click.

I tried the e-mail program in Metro which demonstrates a glaring problem with Metro and not just with e-mail. I often get up to twenty e-mails that I have to eliminate. Here's the difference in eliminating twenty e-mails:

Non-Metro e-mail:
Solution:
- CTRL + left-click the e-mails, then right-click and DELETE.

Metro e-mail:
Solution:
- left-click, then move mouse to upper-right and click DELETE (E-mail #01 deleted),
- left-click, then move mouse to upper-right and click DELETE (E-mail #02 deleted),
- left-click, then move mouse to upper-right and click DELETE (E-mail #03 deleted),
- left-click, then move mouse to upper-right and click DELETE (E-mail #04 deleted),
- left-click, then move mouse to upper-right and click DELETE (E-mail #05 deleted),
- left-click, then move mouse to upper-right and click DELETE (E-mail #06 deleted),
- left-click, then move mouse to upper-right and click DELETE (E-mail #07 deleted),
- left-click, then move mouse to upper-right and click DELETE (E-mail #08 deleted),
- left-click, then move mouse to upper-right and click DELETE (E-mail #09 deleted),
- left-click, then move mouse to upper-right and click DELETE (E-mail #10 deleted),
- left-click, then move mouse to upper-right and click DELETE (E-mail #11 deleted),
- left-click, then move mouse to upper-right and click DELETE (E-mail #12 deleted),
- left-click, then move mouse to upper-right and click DELETE (E-mail #13 deleted),
- left-click, then move mouse to upper-right and click DELETE (E-mail #14 deleted),
- left-click, then move mouse to upper-right and click DELETE (E-mail #15 deleted),
- left-click, then move mouse to upper-right and click DELETE (E-mail #16 deleted),
- left-click, then move mouse to upper-right and click DELETE (E-mail #17 deleted),
- left-click, then move mouse to upper-right and click DELETE (E-mail #18 deleted),
- left-click, then move mouse to upper-right and click DELETE (E-mail #19 deleted),
- left-click, then move mouse to upper-right and click DELETE (E-mail #20 deleted),

*Remember when someone said "hey Jobs, the single-click mouse and keyboard with minimal keys is slick looking but how about we go with something that actually WORKS efficiently?"

What a step backwards, huh?

**I used Windows 8, tried to give it the benefit of the doubt. I really, really did. At the end of the day, the best way to use a Desktop is NOT exactly like a tablet.

FAIL. FAIL. FAIL.

beardguy

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2010
Haters gonna hate. Only time will tell how Windows 8 does. The nerd rage is annoying though. Bet half the people complaining havent even tried it and are only basing opinions off what they read online.

p05esto

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2001
There is no chance of Win8 being successful on the desktop no matter if they spend 5 billion dollars. Every tech person on the planet has written Win8 off as total horse crap and the worst MS release ever. That Metro screen needs to go away, talk about screwing up a clean and simple UI with some complicated and pointless hassle. No start button or way to access all your apps with 1-click? No thank you, not for me.

p05esto

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2001
[citation][nom]lradunovic77[/nom]$40 for upgrade which doesn't work for most part, on most PCs unless you do fresh install of Windows 7 and before you load any drivers and apps upgrade to Windows 8. Again, MS would have to pay me to install Windows 8. I tried RP, really tried and conclusion is...interface just fails.[/citation]

Agreed, I REALLY tried to learn and like Metro but it was an utter fail to my productivity and ability to move around fast between apps. Only casual and stupid computer users might like Metro, any power user will be switching to another OS or sticking with Win7 for years.... I'll be on 7 for 10 years if need be. Screw that gay little start screen that wastes my time. And those Metro apps are the devil, I fricking coulnd't even close them or open up multiple windows next to each other...total horse crap imo.

viper666

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2006
I really hate the Metro interface but it can be disabled through a simple registry edit, same for the start button. No need to bash the whole product due to an interface issue. I ran the RC and it felt pretty stable/good (after disabling the damn Metro).

killerclick

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
[citation][nom]viper666[/nom]I really hate the Metro interface but it can be disabled through a simple registry edit, same for the start button. No need to bash the whole product due to an interface issue. I ran the RC and it felt pretty stable/good (after disabling the damn Metro).[/citation]

As far as I know, it's not possible to disable Metro via registry after the Developer Preview. Microsoft actually made an effort to prevent you from re-enabling the Start Menu.

[citation][nom]viper666[/nom]I really hate the Metro interface but it can be disabled through a simple registry edit, same for the start button. No need to bash the whole product due to an interface issue. I ran the RC and it felt pretty stable/good (after disabling the damn Metro).[/citation]

I'm pretty sure that only the Dev preview can use the registry change. The other versions supposedly need a third party start menu program such as Classic Shell or ViStart/ViOrb. I couldn't get the registry fix to work in the RC myself and most sources say that it was removed, so I used ViStart/ViOrb and never had a problem since.

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
[citation][nom]DookieDraws[/nom]Seriously! If you've never had the pleasure of using a Mac, you really do not know what you're missing. Apple makes great products! The ONLY reason I even use Windows is because I am a gamer and most games are Windows only. Don't knock something till you've tried it.[/citation]
Have a macbook at home. Not a pleasure unless you're simply surfing the web.

siciro

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2011
OH please there is nothing wrong with Windows 8. been using it for two days and barely notice that the Start Button is missing. Navigation is as easy in Windows 8 as it is in 7. Stop whining like a bunch of prom queens that did not get their favorite shade of make up. So the start button was replaced by the start menu and all the information that you had in a list style menu on the start button now behaves more like a ribbon and it looks a little different. You have a choice of opening up your programs either in Metro or on your task bar OHHH MY GOSH HOW DARE THEY???. I bet have of the people who complain like babies with wet nappies have not even had a look at metro

G

Instead of throwing away all that money, why not hire some real designers and developers to build a quality product that promotes itself?

They're so confident W8 will be a success, but that's just wishful thinking.
How about some real-world testing and feedback? Like, why not have some MS dev teams use W8 for about 2 weeks and then compare the level of productivity - how much it drops. Of course they wouldn't tell us how much hate mail and "best" wishes they'd get, but I'm sure it would be an eye opener.

And just because Steve 'Falmer' lacks the hand-eye coordination to efficiently use the mouse and keyboard, that doesn't hold true for the rest of us.

Manos

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2009
I made the mistake of checking ot the first few comments. Im sorry, i cant help but wonder if you are all the same clueless and naive. Not only this wont flop but will actually be the biggest windows release and not just that. Plays the biggest role in the windows history ever since they first showed up.

Windows 8 makes tablets usefull for more than reading and stupid iPad apps... That IS a fact. And why a lot of peole are excited and anxious to get them released and get one. The whole crossplatform usefullness of the "consept" behind the metro UI, like it or not, noone really cares. its going to work in the long run in ways you apparently cant get a grip of.

The whole rating system always saddens me. Either in troll gaming sites or the way TH has been affected from the newest readers :S I bet my house Windows 8 will not flop and instead will be huge. Thankfully your OPINION with the whole metro UI is insignificant enough ^^ Windows 8 is snapier and even liter on gaming rigs.. But they suck somehow. QQ

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]photonboy[/nom]How to delete e-mails. Metro vs Non-Metro e-mail app:Metro applications have to be compatible with BOTH a mouse and finger in design. This means no right-click or other key combos like CTRL + left-click.I tried the e-mail program in Metro which demonstrates a glaring problem with Metro and not just with e-mail. I often get up to twenty e-mails that I have to eliminate. Here's the difference in eliminating twenty e-mails:Non-Metro e-mail:Solution: - CTRL + left-click the e-mails, then right-click and DELETE.Metro e-mail:Solution:- left-click, then move mouse to upper-right and click DELETE (E-mail #01 deleted),- left-click, then move mouse to upper-right and click DELETE (E-mail #02 deleted),- left-click, then move mouse to upper-right and click DELETE (E-mail #03 deleted),- left-click, then move mouse to upper-right and click DELETE (E-mail #04 deleted),- left-click, then move mouse to upper-right and click DELETE (E-mail #05 deleted),- left-click, then move mouse to upper-right and click DELETE (E-mail #06 deleted),- left-click, then move mouse to upper-right and click DELETE (E-mail #07 deleted),- left-click, then move mouse to upper-right and click DELETE (E-mail #08 deleted),- left-click, then move mouse to upper-right and click DELETE (E-mail #09 deleted),- left-click, then move mouse to upper-right and click DELETE (E-mail #10 deleted),- left-click, then move mouse to upper-right and click DELETE (E-mail #11 deleted),- left-click, then move mouse to upper-right and click DELETE (E-mail #12 deleted),- left-click, then move mouse to upper-right and click DELETE (E-mail #13 deleted),- left-click, then move mouse to upper-right and click DELETE (E-mail #14 deleted),- left-click, then move mouse to upper-right and click DELETE (E-mail #15 deleted),- left-click, then move mouse to upper-right and click DELETE (E-mail #16 deleted),- left-click, then move mouse to upper-right and click DELETE (E-mail #17 deleted),- left-click, then move mouse to upper-right and click DELETE (E-mail #18 deleted),- left-click, then move mouse to upper-right and click DELETE (E-mail #19 deleted),- left-click, then move mouse to upper-right and click DELETE (E-mail #20 deleted),*Remember when someone said "hey Jobs, the single-click mouse and keyboard with minimal keys is slick looking but how about we go with something that actually WORKS efficiently?"What a step backwards, huh?**I used Windows 8, tried to give it the benefit of the doubt. I really, really did. At the end of the day, the best way to use a Desktop is NOT exactly like a tablet.FAIL. FAIL. FAIL.[/citation]
If you tap and hold to the left of the list of emails, does a popup tickbox appear beside each email, the same as it does in WP7 inbox? If it does then you tick all the items you want deleting then hit the delete option.

If you are going to moan about the lost function of a keyboard then you should also try not to cope with just a mouse on its own, the touchscreen controls are there for use to use.

irh_1974

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
C'mon guys, surely there are some parts of Windows 8 you are looking forward to? If they had left Start button and you set it to boot right into the desktop app by default, what items that are built in are you looking forward to?

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
Looking forward to: The improvements to the code, the enhanced copy/move/delete function, Task Manager is wonderful. The tweaked AERO in Win8 v 8440 (but has since been removed).

Now AERO is gone, replaced with 80's butt-ugly a 5year old made-them UI. All the brain-damaged ideas of mixing two UIs into the same OS. Its shit. I thought I woudld love it, it makes "sense" from the videos and screen shots. I quickly got sick of it. You can't just NOT use Metro.

Look at this stupid concept: MS kills Gadgets... because they want to replaces them with the HTML 5 titles on Metro.... which is really F'in stupid because you CAN'T see them when you are in desktop mode and Metro isn't a windowed OS. Its like a throw back to shitty MS-DOS (not quite).

Microsoft would have to pay $1000 to put that shit on my computer. I'd erase it as soon as I could... of if I wasn't allowed to, use the $1000 to build a new Win7 box. ;)

I mean it, I wouldn't waste $10 on Windows8. I could buy a drink for that or go see a movie.

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
An example of Productivity in a real OS vs metrocrap.
Trying to troubleshoot a problem or HOW-TO on your desktop computer:
Window 1 = the program or tool not configured right or corrupted.
Windows 2~3 = browsers with drawings and instructions on how to fix it.

In Metro... that would reqire looking at the browser in desktop and flipping into Metro to deal with the offending APP.

One positive about Windows8... nobody is going to pirate it.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
The start menu is surely just a foldered list of shortcuts though, surely if those shortcuts exist still exist via the tiles then you haven't lost anything, they are just in a different place.
So it's not the loss of the start button you are lamenting, it is the loss of a bare desktop with a solitary Recycle Bin and a background wallpaper?

Status
Not open for further replies.