MSFT Spending Half a Billion on Advertising for Windows 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

drwho1

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
[citation][nom]math1337[/nom]500 million dollars wasted...[/citation]

Exactly, that's money down the drain.
Windows 8 will be the biggest OS flop in history, bigger flop than Vista and Windows Me combined.

drwho1

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
[citation][nom]classzero[/nom]They're going to need more than that![/citation]
There is no amount of money that will get them out this flop.

killerb255

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006
[citation][nom]drwho1[/nom]Exactly, that's money down the drain. Windows 8 will be the biggest OS flop in history, bigger flop than Vista and Windows Me combined.[/citation]

How so?

Remember that there were a lot of things that made Vista a flop:
1) Underpowered hardware (less than 2 GB of RAM for Vista RTM was bad news, and most PCs didn't have that back then)
2) Repeated delays
3) Developers dragging their feet with Vista-compatible drivers
4) User Account Control being too strict
5) Six years of complacency (XP came out in 2001, Vista came out in 2007).
6) Major program compatibility issues at the time
7) XP was "good enough."

Out of all those things, only #7 would qualify for what would make Windows 8 a "flop." After all, Windows 8 is NT 6.2...not that big of a chance from Windows 7 being NT 6.1 (remember, XP was NT 5.1 and Vista was NT 6.0).

everlast66

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2009
This is the beginning of the END.
MS is gradually turning into one of these slow and heavy dinosaurs that find it increasingly difficult to compete in dynamic industries like IT. They'll find themselves progressively outsold in the consumer sector, people no longer need a dedicated home PC to surf the internet, shop, communicate, do their banking and gaming.

Their basic market, computer operating systems, that just couple of years back they ruled unchallenged, has now been split into several sectors, leisure time devices - tablets, TV/movie devices, smartphones, gaming consoles and office computers / workstations. In all, but the last, of these sectors they are being vastly outsold and are finding it hard to compete. They will need to invest more and more and reduce their market share. At the rate at which such companies are spending it takes only one wrong step and they might not be able to walk again. For Nokia it was 8bil in R&D spending, let's see it this is the wrong step for MS?

iceman1992

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2011
[citation][nom]killerb255[/nom]How so?Remember that there were a lot of things that made Vista a flop:1) Underpowered hardware (less than 2 GB of RAM for Vista RTM was bad news, and most PCs didn't have that back then)2) Repeated delays3) Developers dragging their feet with Vista-compatible drivers4) User Account Control being too strict5) Six years of complacency (XP came out in 2001, Vista came out in 2007).6) Major program compatibility issues at the time7) XP was "good enough."Out of all those things, only #7 would qualify for what would make Windows 8 a "flop." After all, Windows 8 is NT 6.2...not that big of a chance from Windows 7 being NT 6.1 (remember, XP was NT 5.1 and Vista was NT 6.0).[/citation]Well for Win8,
1) 7 is "good enough."
2) Metro
And #2 is the problem

spartanmk2

Honorable
May 11, 2012
XP was a great OS and I would still be using it if it wasnt so dated, getting used to Win7 and no need to put a tablet OS on my desktop.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
[citation][nom]drwho1[/nom]Exactly, that's money down the drain. Windows 8 will be the biggest OS flop in history, bigger flop than Vista and Windows Me combined.[/citation]

I prefer butchered design than ****loads of security and stability issues.

I'm also assuming you mean the vanilla Vista. The SP2 Vista with Platform Upgrade comes close to Windows 7.

wiyosaya

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
[citation][nom]killerb255[/nom]How so?Remember that there were a lot of things that made Vista a flop:1) Underpowered hardware (less than 2 GB of RAM for Vista RTM was bad news, and most PCs didn't have that back then)2) Repeated delays3) Developers dragging their feet with Vista-compatible drivers4) User Account Control being too strict5) Six years of complacency (XP came out in 2001, Vista came out in 2007).6) Major program compatibility issues at the time7) XP was "good enough."Out of all those things, only #7 would qualify for what would make Windows 8 a "flop." After all, Windows 8 is NT 6.2...not that big of a chance from Windows 7 being NT 6.1 (remember, XP was NT 5.1 and Vista was NT 6.0).[/citation]

Personally, I think it would be easy to establish that the main reason Vista was a flop was that it was widely avoided by businesses, in fact, most businesses did not adopt Vista, and have only recently, that is, within the past two years or so, adopted 7.

Changing to a new OS is a big outlay for businesses in time, money, personnel, etc. I highly doubt that 8 will be adopted by businesses because of the fact that they just transitioned to 7. Without adoption by businesses, I expect that 8 will sell about as well as Vista did, which will mean that it will be the next MS OS flop.

Pfft! I spend that a year on hoes!

I honestly believe most folks are disappointed with their experience with these Windows 8 previews. It takes too much clicking to navigate through Windows 8. It's just not as straight forward as previous versions of Windows. I can see where older folks or those new to Windows would find it hard to navigate. Hell, it took me for ever to finally figure out how to shut my damn pc down. Plus, closing applications isn't as straight forward as it should be. You may have MANY applications running in the background that you thought you had closed. I can see where the Metro interface would be fine for touch screen devices, just not so friendly to those of us who use a keyboard and mouse; which is a hell of a lot of us!

Microsoft should give it's users a choice of the Metro user interface or the standard Windows user interface.

Also, Microsoft should quit charging so much for a Windows release. Apple charges $29.99 for their OS! Everything on a Mac looks nice and it just works! Sure, Apple computers are expensive, but they are a joy to use. Microsoft just needs to get it together.

I have some questions about the Windows 8 upgrade; I have a copy of Vista Ultimate, do I have to install it on my computer in order to purchase the Windows 8 upgrade or can I just install the Windows 8 upgrade? I'm not crazy about Windows 8 (as of now), but may buy a copy if I can Install it without having to install Vista first! Plus, the upgrade price isn't too bad for a new version of Windows. However, I may very well just take a pass on it. Depends on how I'm feeling. :)

G

they could just give me a free copy of windows 8 and $100. I think that 500million would be better spent. I was used Win8 as a mirror and use the $100 for therapy :)

legacy7955

Distinguished
May 16, 2011
I can see it now. Millions of consumers rushing out to buy a copy of Windows 7 (or buy an OEM PC with Win 7) before the debut of Windows 8.

Metro UI is NOT useful on a desktop or laptop PC. Period! We need to be able to have a default boot to desktop EVERYTIME !

[citation][nom]killerb255[/nom]How so?Remember that there were a lot of things that made Vista a flop:1) Underpowered hardware (less than 2 GB of RAM for Vista RTM was bad news, and most PCs didn't have that back then)2) Repeated delays3) Developers dragging their feet with Vista-compatible drivers4) User Account Control being too strict5) Six years of complacency (XP came out in 2001, Vista came out in 2007).6) Major program compatibility issues at the time7) XP was "good enough."Out of all those things, only #7 would qualify for what would make Windows 8 a "flop." After all, Windows 8 is NT 6.2...not that big of a chance from Windows 7 being NT 6.1 (remember, XP was NT 5.1 and Vista was NT 6.0).[/citation]

Vista was just a makeover. windows 8 is so different i don't think the windows name fits the new GUI

damianrobertjones

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
Well....

You have a shortcut on the desktop and you click it.
You have a tile on the Metro UI and you click it.

You throw your mouse pointer to the bottom left and click start (Or wait for it to appear if you hide it)
You throw your mouse pointer to the far right and then click the windows icon.

To open an application you click it
To open the dektop you click it

All in all I've no issue with Windows 8 as I can see the benefits over the negatives. I'll be installing on day 1.

P.s. The kids will love it and all the adults will follow along

damianrobertjones

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
[citation][nom]DookieDraws[/nom]Everything on a Mac looks nice and it just works! Sure, Apple computers are expensive, but they are a joy to use.[/citation]

Ba haa haaaa haaaa! Seriously

Considering how quick easy it is to install a start menu in Windows 8, most of you are just full of hot air and want something to whine about. Sure, this should not be necessary. Sure, MS is literally trying to corner their customers in one of the most despicable ways reasonably imaginable for a software/OS company. However, the product itself is not nearly as bad as it is made out to be. It is actually pretty good and is better than 7 in almost every way except for Metro. Even with only Metro, simply using a quick launch and a few shortcuts means that you don't need to click any more often than you would need to without Metro. Heck, Metro also has the search feature, so for almost everything, the only way that you could use more clicks in Metro is if you use it wrong. Do I like it? Nope. However, I'm not going to exaggerate the problem and whine about it. Here are solutions. Do with them what you will be it use them or ignore them, but there they are.

Start menu programs include ViStart with ViOrb, Classic Shell, and many more.
Getting the quick launch back in Windows 7 and 8 is very easy and doesn't even need a new program. Just right click on the taskbar, click toolbars, click make new tool bar, choose the directory that you want for the quick launch shortcuts to reside in, right click on the new tool bar, uncheck show text and uncheck show title. You can now have a quick launch and a start menu. There is much more that you can do if you want to.

[citation][nom]captaincharisma[/nom]Vista was just a makeover. windows 8 is so different i don't think the windows name fits the new GUI[/citation]

Vista wasn't a make-over at all. It had huge under the hood changes. You don't really think that a mere make-over of XP would mean a new kernel, resource usage that's like half of an order of magnitude higher, and so much more.

killerclick

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
[citation][nom]blazorthon[/nom]Considering how quick easy it is to install a start menu in Windows 8, most of you are just full of hot air and want something to whine about.[/citation]

Windows 8 and Metro need to die a quick, brutal death for Microsoft to get its act together. All they need to do is make a separate (but fully compatible) mobile UI and keep PCs and mobile devices apart because they're nothing alike. Microsoft didn't understand that and that's why Tablet PC was a flop and that's why Surface will be a flop. Apple understood that the iPad is nothing like a PC, so it didn't even try to make it into one, and that's why it's so popular. It's a big iPod touch and that's all most tablet customers want.

Status
Not open for further replies.