MSFT Spending Half a Billion on Advertising for Windows 8

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

if every version of windows was a fail then why it is the most used OS in the PC world?

FAIL

killerclick

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
[citation][nom]captaincharisma[/nom]if every version of windows was a fail then why it is the most used OS in the PC world?FAIL[/citation]

Every other, meaning one version is great, one is fail.

Comprehension fail. :)

wardoc22

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2011
I like how they squared off the corner of your windows in windows 8 rather than the curved design in windows 7.

But I already got a theme for that :)

And about metro, all I have to have is that it works amazingly on a touchscreen, but is hell to use on keyboard and mouse.

I personally think microsoft had touchscreen device in mind when designing windows 8.

wardoc22

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2011
[citation][nom]captaincharisma[/nom]if every version of windows was a fail then why it is the most used OS in the PC world?FAIL[/citation]

>.>

killerb255

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006
[citation][nom]iceman1992[/nom]Well for Win8,1) 7 is "good enough."2) MetroAnd #2 is the problem[/citation]

Now that I think of it, the "Metro" part would go under a variation of #5:
5) Six years of complacency (XP came out in 2001, Vista came out in 2007).

In this case, it's: "17 years of complacency (Windows 95 was the last MAJOR UI change)."

So really, going by the list I posted before, a lot of people are putting stock on #5 and #7 (#7 being "...is good enough.")

[citation][nom]killerb255[/nom]Now that I think of it, the "Metro" part would go under a variation of #5:5) Six years of complacency (XP came out in 2001, Vista came out in 2007).In this case, it's: "17 years of complacency (Windows 95 was the last MAJOR UI change)." So really, going by the list I posted before, a lot of people are putting stock on #5 and #7 (#7 being "...is good enough.")[/citation]

Complacency? MS was working during that time between XP and Vista. There was their Longhorn OS that never came to be and was scrapped for Vista and things that they actually finished competely and released in that time include Windows XP MCE and XP X64 in addition to the SPs for XP (SP2 made it almost an entire new OS).

GreaseMonkey_62

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2009

I did try it since the first release online. I really tried to be open about it and I always found myself frustrated and hating it. I've seen some people say that they get used to it after a week, but I'm so disgusted with it that I can never get it enough time.

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]DjEaZy[/nom]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-2C2gb6ws8... the part, where was told, that money can't buy everything... windows 8 is nothing like OSX... man, it's not even windows anymore...[/citation]
What they forgot to mention was that they also copied those technologies from someone else.

GreaseMonkey_62

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2009
Everyone that says you can re-enable the start menu or make changes during install are wrong. Maybe in earlier pre releases, but MS has taken steps to remove that code (not comment it out, remove it completely). So it's not as easy as you are making it out to be.

Re-install it instead of trying some ridiculous hack that as you said, doesn't work anymore. ViStart/ViOrb and Classic Shell aren't re-enabling it, they are installing a new start menu. They still work and I know this for a fact because I've done it.

GreaseMonkey_62

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2009

Hmm, if there is also a way to disable Metro UI it might be worth trying on a desktop.

If you really hate it so much, then don't use it much. There's no need to other than logging in to click on the desktop shell.

Status
Not open for further replies.