msg cmd prompt error 5 getting session names

Akamari

Honorable
Sep 30, 2012
Hello,
I'm trying to get my Windows 8 PC to communicate with other PCs (They also have Windows 8) in my LAN using the MSG command.
The command I'm using is:
msg * /server:192.168.1.73 Hello

I've also tried using the computer name (i.e John-PC) instead of the IP.

but immediately after I get the message "Error 5 getting session names". I am using CMD in administrator and have also changed the registry AllowRemoteRPC value to 1.

I have managed to send a message to myself and that works. I'm just getting the error when trying to send to another computer other than mine in the network.
I have tried researching and the only fixes I could find was editing the registry and downloading an exe file from computerfixerpeople.com but I don't want to download anything that's unnecessary or that could be a virus because I'm not familiar with that website.

How can I fix this?

EDIT: I have tried using net view 192.168.1.#
Using the ip of another computer in the same network, and it says error 5 / access denied.
It looks like I don't have the right permissions to access other computers in the network.

Akamari

Honorable
Sep 30, 2012

Just tried both,
Using 'Msg * Hello' gives no errors and only displays a message on my computer and no others on the network.
and 'Msg 192.168.1.73 Hello' gives a message saying '192.168.1.73 does not exist or is disconnected'.

I also tried 'msg 127.0.0.1 test' as well but that gave the same error above.
I have tried pinging the first IP and that worked fine.

Akamari

Honorable
Sep 30, 2012

Yeah, just a normal home network, I'm using a BT router. Probably should have mentioned that earlier :p

Akamari

Honorable
Sep 30, 2012
Ok, tried 'msg <routerip> message' but still says does not exist or is disconnected.
Do I need to setup a session or enable something on the router or something?

Marko Ribar

Commendable
Mar 26, 2016
Just to inform... I had the same issue and I solved it by setting the same accounts with the same passwords on every Windows 7 PC... It also solved my problems and with sharing of drives and folders at the same time...

Hope this info will help to someone... I didn't know till I discovered this problem... M.R.

Kyle_4

Reputable
Aug 30, 2015
I had the same issue. The answer is pretty simple, you need the login credentials to send the msg. Basically everytime msg.ese sends a msg through your intranet, you need to log into the user, that the computer you are trying to send to is on. So your cmd will stay the same, but you will need to do is go to credential manager, and add the credentials. That error message will go away.

just open your start menu and type in credential manager