MSI’s 3GB GTX 1060 Range Offers Copious Options For Gamers On A Budget

Status
Not open for further replies.

kcarbotte

Contributing Writer
Editor
Mar 24, 2015

Nvidia needs to do something with all the chips that don't quite perform up to par.
disabling components of a GPU to offset losses from bad yields is common practice and has been done for generations.

I agree fully that those chips need to be sold in that fashion,, but since that's the case you can't call it a 1060 because its not. It needs further indication like LE SE as they have done in the past.

What they are advertising is 1060 with 3GB of memory... but it actually doesn't meet the 1060 specs, it is misleading.

Well that's the whole purpose, to mislead uninformed shoppers into purchasing it.

Agreed but in the past that wasnt th case a la se or 192 as they did with the 460

jeffredo

Distinguished
I know Pascal has improved memory management and I know its aimed a 1080p, but I just can't get past 3GB of VRAM. I just sold a GTX 780. While it never ran out on the settings it could handle @ 1920x1200 this card will sit between a GTX 970 and GTX 980 in performance. It just seems a shame to hobble it with too little memory for the long haul.

Status
Not open for further replies.