MSI 1070 Stuck at base clock while idle???

Exitbot

Commendable
Sep 5, 2016
I have a first model MSI GTX 1070 gaming X card. So I noticed this a couple days ago, I'm not sure if it was from the latest drivers or before then. My graphics card is running AT IDLE at 1607mhz core clock, and 4050 mhz memory clock. These are the stable numbers I was able to get in my Overclocking. When I take off the OC, they run also at idle, but at the default clock speeds, 1580mhz ish core and 3600mhz memory. MSI has been no help, I will take ANY ideas, I really don't want to RMA this card if I don't have to. If I can figure out how to add a picture, I can post that but it's not allowing me for some reason from imgur.

script>

69bxM

Solution

1.Go to shadow play overlay
2. Hit the spoke wheels
3. go down to "privacy controll"
4. Select NO

I had the same issue, this fixed it right up. Evga GTX 1070 ftw edt.

VinkiVoble

Commendable
Mar 30, 2016
I did have a similar thing where my GPU was running higher core clocks speeds all the time when idle, i found that the issue was to do with nvidia shadowplay and the desktop capture setting.

hope that can be of some help.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
when gaming does the clock speed go back up?

if so, then i'd not worry. remember boost is able to adjust the speed based on need and at idle, there is little need so it downclocks to save power. same as you cpu does with turbo speeds. runs very low when not needed and then can ramp up a lot faster when the load warrants.

if it still speeds up when gaming, i'd not even worry about it as this should be normal behavior. but if it is stuck at low speeds all the time, then that of course is an issue that should be dealt with.

Exitbot

Commendable
Sep 5, 2016
The speeds do go up when gaming, but Performance isn't what it was before. Occasional crashes when playing overwatch and the card is HOT all the time. fans always have to run. No luck changing shadow play settings, all though I didn't see many settings to adjust.

Betturballs

Commendable
Dec 13, 2016

1.Go to shadow play overlay
2. Hit the spoke wheels
3. go down to "privacy controll"
4. Select NO

I had the same issue, this fixed it right up. Evga GTX 1070 ftw edt.

Solution

Sithtiger

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2007

Sithtiger

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2007

I had the exact same problem. I just have the MSI GTX 1070 Gaming 8G, no X,Y, or Z. So I disabled Shadowplay, but it didn't change anything. What did was change drivers. Turns out, the newest drivers, which are 378.49, so I went back to the previous drivers which were 376.33. See I bought a new SSD, the 250GB Samsung 850 EVO and had to reinstall and new drivers just happened to come out the other day when I did and then I noticed my GPU temp was higher and that made me notice my idle speeds were 1518MHz Core and 2002MHz Memory (4006 if you include the GDDR5) non O/Ced. The speeds at idle should have been 164MHz Core and 405MHz Memory. I don't know what drivers you were using. The pics are not coming up, but even if you were using different drivers, some drivers could affect your card differently.

It seems the Shadowplay solution works for some, but it was the drivers for me.

TRENDING THREADS