Question MSI 15.6" GF65 Thin 9SEXR reaching high temps + fps drops

Jul 10, 2020
Hi guys,

I have bought this MSI before leaving the UK in June thinking it would perform better than an avg desktop. However, I have been struggling to cool it down when playing Valorant. Temps will oscilate between 90C and 98C even with a cooling pad & a big fan pointing towards the laptop.

I can get 250 FPS on Medium Settings but it does go down to 120 and stuttering. The game isn't smooth as it should be with an RTX 2060!

For obvious reasons, I can't return it as I am living 3000km away! Could anyone possibly give me the right directions on what to do next please? Very little knowledge here!
ss

Kiril1512

Distinguished
Hello.

Since you already got the cooling pad, I would recommend to undervolt the cpu, it is a common task to do in those high end laptops.

You can check how to do it here and here.

If this would not help you much, the most efficient way and most "hard" way to do is open your laptop and replace the thermal paste to a better one, but you need to be confident and know what you are doing and also check MSI warranty if it is Ok to change thermal paste without compromising warranty.

Jul 10, 2020
Thanks for your reply. I have tried to undervolt my cpu and it does reduce the heat generated, however, my FPS's are still dropping 100 in game. Feels like stuttering..