Question Msi 1660 low usage

thomas4204

Reputable
Dec 24, 2018
I’ve had my 1660 for a little over a year now and it’s never peaked performance. It fortnite etc I can get 200fps stable but nothing above or lower for some reason. In any game I play besides VR I have low gpu usage. In beatsaber I used to be able to run decent settings and now anything above low with no detail in reflections or anything I drop frames. My ryzen 5 3600 is over clocked to 4.3 ghz and has a wraith max cooling it. Both the CPU and gpu have new paste and the thermal pads haven’t been touched. My ram is Corsair vengeance rgb pro 3200mhz 16gb and I have a x570 asus board. The cpu maxes out around 80c I believe and gpu never has gone above 70c. The CPU always sits at 3.9 ghz and never boosts. It sits at 50c idle and I have 2x140mm front fans and 2 exhaust so I should have enough airflow as well. If I lower my settings in fortnite my gpu drops frames and if I put my FPS around 144 on high settings I drop frames but my hardware is barely being used.

What are you using to monitor the cpu and gpu usage?
The cpu never boosts because the temps are a bit high. It can only boost when power is sufficient and thermals are low enough. You may need to buy a better thermal paste and a decent cooler (doesn't need to be anything too fancy).

Run a userbenchmark and post the link to the results here.

thomas4204

Reputable
Dec 24, 2018
I use nzxt cam and msi afterburner. I use artic 4 and Corsair thermal paste. It only hits 80c under really heavy loads like prime 95 or really heavy games. Should the wraith max be decent enough for the ryzen 5? 65w

thomas4204

Reputable
Dec 24, 2018
What are you using to monitor the cpu and gpu usage?
The cpu never boosts because the temps are a bit high. It can only boost when power is sufficient and thermals are low enough. You may need to buy a better thermal paste and a decent cooler (doesn't need to be anything too fancy).

Run a userbenchmark and post the link to the results here.
Once I get home I’ll run a test