[SOLVED] MSI 2060 Z - one fan on/off

houek

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2013
Hi, I have the MSI RTX 2060 GAMING Z 6 GB. In recent days, I have noticed that one of the two fans on the card cyclically accelerates from about 50 to 100% at a high load above 70'C. It looks as if it turns on at 100% at 72-73 degrees, then turns off below 70 degrees. It looks very strange. When I manually set the speed in MSI Afterburner the fans run together at the same speed. What exactly is responsible for controlling the speed of the fans on the graphics card? What could be causing this problem?

Last edited:
Solution
Hi, I have the MSI RTX 2060 GAMING Z 6 GB. In recent days, I have noticed that one of the two fans on the card cyclically accelerates from about 50 to 100% at a high load above 70'C. It looks as if it turns on at 100% at 72-73 degrees, then turns off below 70 degrees. It looks very strange.

Maybe the fan curve is improperly set in bios of the GPU?

When I manually set the speed in MSI Afterburner the fans run together at the same speed. What exactly is responsible for controlling the speed of the fans on the graphics card? What could be causing this problem?

They run together cause you've set them to run at that specific speed, I do not know of way to set for seperate fan speed in MSI Afterburner, nor I've heard about that.
You can set in MSI Afterburner custom fan curve and you've dealt with problem which is the easiest way.
Harder way is to flash bios from updated bios version of your line.

Download GPU-Z and go to Advanced tab and list it under Nvidia Bios. You should see temperature target and bios date.
image.png

houek

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2013
Maybe the fan curve is improperly set in bios of the GPU?
But I didn't change anything and I'm pretty sure few days ago everything was fine.

They run together cause you've set them to run at that specific speed, I do not know of way to set for seperate fan speed in MSI Afterburner, nor I've heard about that.
Here you can unlink both fans and control them separately.

Anyway they work together only with MSI Afterburner ON. Without MSIA one of them work faulty like is shown in first post graph.

Here's screenshot from GPU-Z - there is no "temperature target" value.
gbq.png

Reactions: houek
Solution