Question MSI 2070 Super: Games crash on launch/flickering screen ?

Sep 8, 2021
Hello, I have a MSI 2070 super and I’ve run into a lot of issues with it recently. Every time I try to load a game I get an error and it crashes back to the desktop. The error I’ve been seeing with Apex Legends is “DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG” I also got an error with Halo: MCC which did the same thing but I can’t recall what the error code was. I launched Doom Eternal and when on the load screen I noticed that the screen had these fuzzy white lights moving all around in the background. As I selected to “start” to proceed to the main menu, it froze and I couldn’t get out of the game, so I had to restart my PC. These were the only games I had tested.

I was on the phone with MSI’s customer support for over an hour troubleshooting and the agent had me run a benchmark, but it couldn’t run for more than a second before the program crashed, or if the program did start, it froze. On top of games not working, the screen is flickering when I go to left click on commands or start a download on a game. I installed the drivers and uninstalled (using DDU) them multiple times to see if that would fix it but nothing changed. I also did a fresh install of windows but still all the same errors/flickering.

I originally RMA’d because of the fans working at 100% on idle and no post. That issue has gone away, but now more have arrived. I am also using an ASUS Phoenix 1650 for the time being, but i haven’t had any issues while using it. If anyone can be of help I’d greatly appreciate it, it’s been very frustrating. Thank you very much.

Build is a little over a year old.

Specs:

I7 10700k

16gb DDR4 3600 G.Skill Trident Z

EVGA 850 W Gold+ PSU

MSI Z490 Gaming Edge Wifi

MSI 2070 Super

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

EVGA is the brand of the PSU while 850W is the wattage and Gold+ is the 80+ efficiency rating. Please mention the model of the PSU.

did a fresh install of windows
What version(not edition) of Windows 10(assuming you're on Windows 10) are you on? Source of your installer for the OS? Can you get into BIOS and remain there indefinitely? Speaking of BIOS, what BIOS version are you working with at the time of writing?

The GTX1650 has a lower power draw than the RTX 2070 Super, so that isn't a proper comparison. How are you cooling that processor?

Sep 8, 2021
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

EVGA is the brand of the PSU while 850W is the wattage and Gold+ is the 80+ efficiency rating. Please mention the model of the PSU.

did a fresh install of windows
What version(not edition) of Windows 10(assuming you're on Windows 10) are you on? Source of your installer for the OS? Can you get into BIOS and remain there indefinitely? Speaking of BIOS, what BIOS version are you working with at the time of writing?

The GTX1650 has a lower power draw than the RTX 2070 Super, so that isn't a proper comparison. How are you cooling that processor?
I just tested my GPU on another PC and it still crashes games and flickers. I’m guessing it’s the GPU. His PSU is 800w