Cooler: Cryorig H7
MoBo: MSI Z390 Gaming Edge AC
GPU: MSI 2070 Super Ventus OC
RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000 Mhz
SSD: Samsung 970 Evo Nvme
PSU: Corsair TX550M
Case: Fractal Design R6
Monitor: Acer Predator x34p (1440p UW)

Performance wise I am extremely happy with the overall build, even though I have only played CS:GO and World of Warcraft Classic so far. The GPU might be overkill for my needs, but I wanted it to comfortably drive the x34p at 100-120 herz, which it does flawlessly. However, I expected it to run a little cooler and quieter at these older games (both at max settings). In CS:GO the card went to 69-72 degrees within 15-30 minutes of play (FPS not capped, 200+ constantly) and in WoW Classic to around 68-70 degrees (FPS capped at 100, constantly at that FPS), at which point the card is definitely hearable. When idling, it is unnoticeable at 33 degrees. So here are my questions:

1. Are there other users of the MSI 2070 Super Ventus OC on here that have experienced similar temperatures? Are these temperatures normal for these kind of games and am I expecting too much?

2. Am I right in thinking that I could possibly reduce the temperatures and noise levels by removing the stock overclock without noticing the difference in performance due to the games being rather old? If so, is it only going to be 2-3 degrees or a noticeable difference?

I am still in the return period and would thus really appreciate any feedback :). Thanks!!

Solution
Well, I was surprised at how good the cooler on the Ventus actually is, it's quiet and the fans don't go above 65% which = 65C load temperature. It's far better than I thought it would be. That said, there will be cooler 2080s, 3 fan models etc. My purchase was based purely on lowest price, so I wasn't comparing against other models.

And with load, I'd say 90-100% GPU usage is pretty much load, with 100% obviously being full load.
I don't have this GPU, but those TEMP values look normal to me. 70 C is not a very high and alarming value to worry much about. You can always make a custom Fan profile via the MSI Afterburner tool though....

How is the airflow inside your ATX cabinet ? Even though those 2 games are not GPU demanding, you are running a high refresh rate monitor.

gudo

Reputable
Apr 23, 2015
I don't have this GPU, but those TEMP values look normal to me. 70 C is not a very high and alarming value to worry much about. You can always make a custom Fan profile via the MSI Afterburner tool though....

How is the airflow inside your ATX cabinet ? Even though those 2 games are not GPU demanding, you are running a high refresh rate monitor.

Well, the R6 is not an airflow case. Having said that, I tried to get as much airflow as possible by removing all the drive-compartments in the front of the case. The case also allows for routing of all cables in a separate compartment behind the motherboard, so the 2 front fans can blow the air right through to the back of the case, where there is another fan.

I have the 2080 Ventus and your idle and load temps are only 5 Celsius higher than mine, which makes sense as I have a full tower case with 9 fans as opposed to the midi sized R6.

I'd say your temps are normal and nothing to be concerned about.

Thanks, that obviously makes sense and puts my temps into perspective. My case only has 3 case-fans in total.

Is load = load, regardless of how tough a load it actually is? I thought the card might just reach those levels when being really challenged, such as with the newest titles.

I also wondered if the Ventus might just be a rather hot/loud card, do you know whether other 2080 cards are significantly cooler?

Well, I was surprised at how good the cooler on the Ventus actually is, it's quiet and the fans don't go above 65% which = 65C load temperature. It's far better than I thought it would be. That said, there will be cooler 2080s, 3 fan models etc. My purchase was based purely on lowest price, so I wasn't comparing against other models.

And with load, I'd say 90-100% GPU usage is pretty much load, with 100% obviously being full load.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS