Feb 2, 2014
Need some help please! PC Specs:

i9 9900f CPU
32GB ddr4 3200mhz ram
1tb ssd evo
Aorus Z390 master mobo
Corsair h115i AIO Cooler
Corsair 750w PSU

My issue - Upgraded my GPU from Gigabyte Aorus 1080ti to the MSI 2080ti gaming x trio. My old card had two 8 pin connectors and the new card has two 8 pin and a 6 pin connectors. The instructions that came with the card show the two connections one 8 and one 6 being used but the graphic also shows a card with just two fans. I have looked at some videos but the only one that's clear shows all connections both the 8 pin and 6 pin. The RGB does light up on the card but I am getting no signal to my monitor. My 1080ti was updated to latest drives from NVIDIA. My current power supply does not have an extra 6 pin connection that I can use. Can anyone help me with this? Im thinking I need to get a better PSU???? Also last note - CPU does not have on board graphics have to use GPU..

Thank you!

Thank you - I’m going to do that. The psu worked great with my 1080ti not one issue even with cpu and gpu over clocked. I’m going to see if that works tonight.
I have seen when.....even if you have enough wattage....if all the plugs aren't connected....the gpu doesn't work.

This doesn't always happen. I have also seen GPUs work without all the plugs connected.

....but it does happen.

....and you're welcome.

osubuckeyes76

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2014
I have seen when.....even if you have enough wattage....if all the plugs aren't connected....the gpu doesn't work.

This doesn't always happen. I have also seen GPUs work without all the plugs connected.

....but it does happen.

....and you're welcome.

follow up to our conversation. Just talked to Msi support. He did confirm that all three need to be plugged in to work. Both the 8 pin and 6 pin connected.

Thanks again

Get a high quality psu designed for the job. If your current psu doesn’t have the right connectors that is telling you something. You didn’t actually say which model, Corsair do both good and poor units. You have a high end system, the psu is probably the most important part of the pc it should match the quality of the rest of your system.