[SOLVED] Msi 2080ti vs 2080 super

Tayfow805

Prominent
Oct 13, 2019
I was thinking of upgrading my graphics card from a 1660ti. If I buy one I want to go all out because it will be paired with a i9 9900k. But I just don’t see the advantage of forking over the extra $500-$600 for a 2080ti over the 2080 super. Is there really that much of a performance increase between the two to make that much more expensive? For reference the 2080ti is about ~$1300 while the 2080 super is about ~$800.

Solution
So, the single 2080 Super should be MORE than capable enough to max out any title I know of at Ultra settings on a single 1440p display. The other display, if not used for gaming, should have little to no real effect on the demands of your graphics card even if you are watching video on that display at the same time. So long as you are not gaming or running intensive 3D applications on it, it should not be enough of a factor to even warrant consideration.

I wouldn't pay the extra money for a 2080 ti unless you are gaming at 4k or are using multiple 1440p displays for multi screen gaming.

PSU is more than capable enough for any of those configurations including a 2080Ti and some generous overclocking.
What resolution and how many monitors are you gaming on?

What is the refresh rate of your gaming monitor or monitors?

What is the EXACT model of your current power supply? This is probably AS or MORE important than the first two questions OR any other considerations, because without an adequate QUALITY unit that has the required capacity, any question of a high end graphics card is a moot point until and unless that is addressed anyhow.

Tayfow805

Prominent
Oct 13, 2019
What resolution and how many monitors are you gaming on?

What is the refresh rate of your gaming monitor or monitors?

What is the EXACT model of your current power supply? This is probably AS or MORE important than the first two questions OR any other considerations, because without an adequate QUALITY unit that has the required capacity, any question of a high end graphics card is a moot point until and unless that is addressed anyhow.
2 monitors. Both 1440p 144hz 1ms
Thermaltake 850w 80+ platinum

Tayfow805

Prominent
Oct 13, 2019
WHICH Thermaltake 850w Platinum? How long has it been in service?

Are you gaming on both monitors, or using one for gaming and the other for other tasks while gaming?
Thermaltake Touchpower Grand RGB 850W 80+ Platinum Smart Zero RGB Fan, SLI/Crossfire Ready Continuous Power, Full Modular ATX 12V 2.4/EPS 12V 2.92 Power Supply.
In service for less than a month.
Gaming on one monitor, other for misc. tasks

So, the single 2080 Super should be MORE than capable enough to max out any title I know of at Ultra settings on a single 1440p display. The other display, if not used for gaming, should have little to no real effect on the demands of your graphics card even if you are watching video on that display at the same time. So long as you are not gaming or running intensive 3D applications on it, it should not be enough of a factor to even warrant consideration.

I wouldn't pay the extra money for a 2080 ti unless you are gaming at 4k or are using multiple 1440p displays for multi screen gaming.

PSU is more than capable enough for any of those configurations including a 2080Ti and some generous overclocking.

Solution

Tayfow805

Prominent
Oct 13, 2019

Thank you so much for your input. I figured the 2080ti is overkill. Just wanted a second opinion