MSI 290 GAMING + M5A99FX + FX8350- Black screen, CPU LED on

2cro

Reputable
May 12, 2014
Windows 8.1
Corsair H55 Cooler
Corsair TX 750
New build
Im getting a black screen and cpu led turn on when playing bf4. Temp on the card goes up to the 90's before the system crashes so im sure the card is the culprit. CPU temp keeps rising as well, and when system crashes, CPU LED is the one thats on. Ive read that the 290s are fine at even 94, but im sure most components in my case are not. Since the MSI 290 GAMING advertises operating temps of 74 under load, I contacted MSI support and they told me to run Furmark and see if it black screens; after about 12 mins it did. They already gave me an RMA number. Ive already cleared all drivers using both ddu, and amd driver cleaning tool (suggested by msi tech). They said it is a driver issue, and to just RMA. Any last suggestions before I mail out?
I do think it is the card as the CPU cooler is working properly, and the card temp just keeps rising. At the upper 80's it does slow down, but it continues slowly but surely until black screen.

Solution
Also, not sure if this might help any of you, but when I ran msi gaming app and I click Cool Down, the fans on the card turn into turbines and get really loud. Problem is i never hear them get anywhere near as loud when en route to a black screen in BF4, leading me to believe it is a card driver issue. I mean, in theory shouldnt the fans go into overdrive when the card reaches 90 degrees, regardless of situation?

2cro

Reputable
May 12, 2014
Also, not sure if this might help any of you, but when I ran msi gaming app and I click Cool Down, the fans on the card turn into turbines and get really loud. Problem is i never hear them get anywhere near as loud when en route to a black screen in BF4, leading me to believe it is a card driver issue. I mean, in theory shouldnt the fans go into overdrive when the card reaches 90 degrees, regardless of situation?

Solution