Question MSI 3060 TI Overheating

Oct 1, 2022
I have an MSI RTX 3060 ti 8GB Gaming X Trio and I have two temperatures showing on it, one that hits 79c-ish and another that hits 89c-ish. I removed the fans and cleaned out what little there was there and then removed the backplate and the heatsink screws but I couldn't get the PCB and chip to come away from the heatsink.

I didn't want to force it and nothing I have done has changed the temperatures. Is this just a matter of having the guts to force this or is there a chance it is 'welded together' with the pad (for want of a better term). The backplate took a bit more force than I expected but that's onto caps etc. and I obviously don't want to damage the die. I don't even know if this has a plate going over the die or are the cores exposed.

I haven't used this card since last year but I thought it ran a lot cooler, it is idling mid 40's as well. Now I need to use it because my 3070 decided to throw it. They've been used in an Obsidian 950D with 7 intakes so it isn't like they've been starved of air and it I live in Scotland so it isn't like there's hot weather straining it all the time. Personally I welcome global warming and my chance to grow pineapples but I don't see any signs of it here. I still have a dual MSI 1070 ti setup from about 2018 (17?) that has zero problems and both those cards were in the 950D and hammered with overclocking for around 6 months.

So any tips appreciated, with the card and not the pineapple growing.

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

I'd suggest using a plastic spudger to help pry the cooler off the card's thermal pads. To ask, what sort of a PSU are you working with? Are you using the PCIe connectors daisy chained from the PSU or standalone from the PSU to the PCIe connector? Did you reinstall your GPU drivers after using DDU to rule out corrupt drivers being the cause of the high temps?

Oct 1, 2022
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

I'd suggest using a plastic spudger to help pry the cooler off the card's thermal pads. To ask, what sort of a PSU are you working with? Are you using the PCIe connectors daisy chained from the PSU or standalone from the PSU to the PCIe connector? Did you reinstall your GPU drivers after using DDU to rule out corrupt drivers being the cause of the high temps?

Hi and thanks for the welcome.

It's a Corsair TX 650M PSU, so the pair of PCIe connectors is right off the PSU. This is sitting in another case just now but same temps even with the side off and I have tried my Gigabyte 3070 in it and its temp maxes out at 74c, it's only being returned because the RGB on it isn't working properly, half the red LED's died so no affect on performance.

The 3060 was in from a fresh windows install and when I've been swapping them about the past few days it's always 'perform a clean install'.

iirc my 3060 ti was topping out at 69c and the 3070 was topping out at 77c, usually my case is silent running and I cranked it up so with twice as much air and a lot more noise I got a few degrees off of one card and no change from the other.

It's the exact same results in a Corsair 280X case, BTW fun getting that 3060 ti in and out, it is bigger than the 3070.

As for the plastic spodger, ok, will do, more force, squeaky bum time ... I bought 0.5mm and 1.0mm Arctic TP-2 pads for around the GPU, but after looking at it I'm going to need 1.5mm and I'm hoping this SYY thermal paste is half decent, I usually use Arctic. If you have any recommendations there I'm open to them.