Question MSI 3090 not detected in BIOS or in Windows ?

Nov 23, 2021
So recently I got an i5-11600k with an ASRock Z590M motherboard with an existing MSI 3090 Ventus 3X OC. My issue is that the bios will not at all detect the gpu. I’ve reset the CMOS, changed the UEFI settings and switched slots as well but it always defaults to the iGPU and when it loads into Windows the 3090 does not show up in the device manager. I have cleaned the system with DDU. The bios is also the latest. I have used a 2070 to check if the slot is working and it is.

The funny thing is that the card does work. I have ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 that when I put the card in with the same PSU as the one with Z590M setup the 3090 posts successfully. The same two 8 pins and the card shows up in Windows and everything with the older motherboard and cpu.

Moreover, in the i5 build the 3090 is hot to the touch as if it were trying to run but the fans won’t spin.

Has anybody has this issue before? The Gpu works on an older motherboard but not on a new one. Go figure. I’ve been pulling my hair out for a week now. Any help would be appreciated

I've had an almost identical issue with my GPU; AORUS Master RTX 3070. Right out of the box, the card worked fine; but 4 hours later it caput and died. No longer was being detected by my BIOS. Updated BIOS, cleared the CMOS battery, updated chipset, etc. ad nauseum.

Eventually, I contacted Gigabyte for an RMA. They "fixed" my card, but I'm still having issues with it; right now it's stuck at a 240MHz core clock and won't go beyond that without being forced to with a program such as MSI afterburner. That being said, your issue sounds extremely similar to mine and after hours of scouring forums I've found that a LOT of people are having these kinds of issues with the 3000 series cards.

I'd look into RMAing the card and contacting the manufacturer if you haven't already; hopefully you'll have better luck than me!!
There is absolutely NO similarity with your case. NONE. His card NEVER worked on the new system. His card DOES WORK in an older system. The only common ground is that after yours did not work, it was not detected in BIOS. His, works.

Nov 3, 2021
I deleted my post then to avoid further confusion. Though, I don't think it's extremely different. Yes, we know that his card works in another system (I didn't have the ability to do this). However, I'm simply trying to speak from my own experiences and from what I've seen with others complaining of this issue with 3000 series cards.

Much like OP, I spent a week pulling my hair out trying to get my card to work when I should've just RMAd it a day in. Not saying OP shouldn't try troubleshooting. Just that OP should prepare for the possibility of RMAing the card.

I deleted my post then to avoid further confusion. Though, I don't think it's extremely different. Yes, we know that his card works in another system (I didn't have the ability to do this). However, I'm simply trying to speak from my own experiences and from what I've seen with others complaining of this issue with 3000 series cards.

Much like OP, I spent a week pulling my hair out trying to get my card to work when I should've just RMAd it a day in. Not saying OP shouldn't try troubleshooting. Just that OP should prepare for the possibility of RMAing the card.
You don't seem to understand. Your card worked and THEN failed. It was probably a faulty card on the get go. His never worked in one system but works in another.

In every series so far, from both companies, we have complains in these forums. Sure, there are some that have a higher rate than others but the same thing has and probably will happen again in the future. But just because your case has one common thing does not make it similar. It's as similar as if you both own a car, which won't even have to be the same brand.

Reactions: BooTheFearless
Nov 3, 2021
Fair enough @dotas1, I see your point when it's framed like that. And you are right, the card was faulty out of the box; Gigabyte had to replace the GPU itself once they got it. Lol, the card is probably still faulty too but that's neither here nor there. Once OP responds, hopefully something can be found out about the specific issue. Though I still think RMAing may end up being the ultimate solution, I guess that's true for any circumstance. Just want to save some nerves and time in any way I can!

Reactions: dotas1
Nov 23, 2021
@dotas1 I appreciate the help anyways but the card is definitely not faulty. In the older system, the card boots up and I see it fully working. I can see temps, MSI center picks it up. I tried updating the VBIOS using the older system however it was already the latest. I've listed the specs for both the systems. @BooTheFearless

The new system specs
  • CPU - Intel i5 11600k
  • RAM - G.Skill 3200Mhz 16gb ram
  • MB - ASRock Z590M Pro4
  • SSD - ADATA SX8200 Nvme SSD 1TB
  • PSU - Corsair TX750 80 Plus Gold

Old system
  • CPU - Intel i7 -920
  • RAM - Corsair DDR3 6GB
  • MB - ASUS P6T Deluxe V2
  • SSD - Crucial MX250 250GB
  • PSU - Same as above

Graphics cards
- MSI 3090 VENTUS 24GB 3X OC

I have tried booting the new system without the SSD or anything plugged in expect the graphics card. It does send a signal as it boots to wake up the monitor however then after its just blank. The fans on the GPU spin as well but then they don't spin again whatsoever. On the older system I have MSI afterburner so I can adjust it very easily. No idea why on the newer system it wont be recognized by the BIOS .
Also RMA is not an option because i've had this card for 3-4 months and bought it from Microcenter so it suddenly not working like on new system is very weird

Nov 3, 2021
I see your predicament @anitricks. This is postulation on my part, but perhaps it could get your somewhere. While scouring forums for my GPU's issue, I saw mention that it's possible the RAM could be interfering with the card? I removed each RMA pairing that I had in my system but it came to nothing for me. Perhaps try that and see if it'll work for you; I'm unsure of the exact correlation but it's worth a shot.

Nov 23, 2021
I see your predicament @anitricks. This is postulation on my part, but perhaps it could get your somewhere. While scouring forums for my GPU's issue, I saw mention that it's possible the RAM could be interfering with the card? I removed each RMA pairing that I had in my system but it came to nothing for me. Perhaps try that and see if it'll work for you; I'm unsure of the exact correlation but it's worth a shot.
Yeah I did that too but it still doesn’t work. However I did get to use a friends system to see if the gpu ran but it didn’t either. It was a intel 9th gen cpu and it was the same issue that it was a back screen and couldn’t get detected. But when I plugged that card back into the ASUS P6T deluxe it was running fine. Is it possible that the UEFI settings in the GPU can be reset or the whole GPU bios can be reset ?

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Yeah I did that too but it still doesn’t work. However I did get to use a friends system to see if the gpu ran but it didn’t either. It was a intel 9th gen cpu and it was the same issue that it was a back screen and couldn’t get detected. But when I plugged that card back into the ASUS P6T deluxe it was running fine. Is it possible that the UEFI settings in the GPU can be reset or the whole GPU bios can be reset ?
If you take the video card out can you boot using the motherboard graphics?
If so go into BIOS and see if you can change the PCI-E to 3.0 instead of 4.0