[SOLVED] Msi 3090 suprim x fan curve issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adam Jelinek

Prominent
Oct 4, 2019
So I use msi afterburner to monitor temps and adjust fan curves but for some reason the 3090 doesn’t change at all. It seems like the card won’t ever go past 30% fan speed even if I check off the manual fan speed option and set a custom curve. I’m not sure if there are specific settings that I’m missing because I’ve never had an issue before with custom fan curves. I’m wondering if anyone has found a solution to this problem.

Solution
So I use msi afterburner to monitor temps and adjust fan curves but for some reason the 3090 doesn’t change at all. It seems like the card won’t ever go past 30% fan speed even if I check off the manual fan speed option and set a custom curve. I’m not sure if there are specific settings that I’m missing because I’ve never had an issue before with custom fan curves. I’m wondering if anyone has found a solution to this problem.
I had a similar thing with my 3070. Whenever I set a custom fan profile it didn't seem to do anything other than set the fan speed really high.
Turns out I was using version 4.6.2 and there is a 4.6.3 beta 4 which lists support for Ampere cards under whats new...

Adam Jelinek

Prominent
Oct 4, 2019
Try other monitoring software for fan speed. Is the 3090 on the latest vbios ? Is there a bios setting that limits fan speed ?
I have used a few others including precession x1, msi dragon center, and afterburner. And I believe I have the latest bios, maybe I’ll check again. And the card does have a performance and quiet bios mode.

I had a similar thing with my 3070. Whenever I set a custom fan profile it didn't seem to do anything other than set the fan speed really high.
Turns out I was using version 4.6.2 and there is a 4.6.3 beta 4 which lists support for Ampere cards under whats new
https://www.techspot.com/downloads/4895-msi-afterburner.html

Solution

Adam Jelinek

Prominent
Oct 4, 2019
Turns out I was using version 4.6.2 and there is a 4.6.3 beta 4 which lists support for Ampere cards under whats new
https://www.techspot.com/downloads/4895-msi-afterburner.html
I’ll have to check if I’m using 4.6.2 or 4.6.3 because I did redownload one of those yesterday because I’ve seen similar threads but nothing had seemed to work yet

Adam Jelinek

Prominent
Oct 4, 2019
4.6.3 beta seems to work much better for me, although I've found if I leave it on auto I can barely hear any fan noise and the temperature stays at around 60C which seems good enough for me.
Ah I see, yeah I’ll check and then update you. But what is weird is my 3090 won’t ramp up at all even when the temps are getting hotter, I’ve seen 77c and the card won’t even go past 30% fan speed, sometimes it’ll go to 39% and like soft lock

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS