msi 390 to hits 92C!

Hired_gunz

Commendable
Sep 8, 2016
so hi i have built my first pc and i have a gpu heat problem. when i game when the gpu is using 100% while gaming it gets up in the 90s. i fill like it might be a airflow issue. i have a zalmen h1 case. front 200mm fan intake 2 120mm at top exhaust. the rear is intake because i have a liquide cooler i installed and i tested and it seems to cool better on cpu while pulling by quite a bit. the issue is when i had it pushing out it seems to help gpu temps from what i remember but cpu gets hotter and i need cool cpu. when i open case i fill cool air going to cpu but at bottom or around gpu there is hot air coming form gpu. i was thinking upgrade 140mm fans and top and one intake below gpu do you think that will be ok? experts welcome!

Well 92c for the Gpu if you say it is reaching that tempreture is not good.

Your right at the point where the Gpu will most certainly be thermal throttling Hired _Guns.
And should be noticeable when playing a game since the frame rate of the game should be dropping lower.

If the side is on the tower case simply remove it as a test.
See how much lower the 390 card Gpu ends up when playing a game.

It will confirm the cause, or does in most situations that the problem is heat build up in the top quarter of the case.
And you need to balance the amount of air intake, or at least increase it inside your case for better air flow particularly if the case is not very high in measurement or slim in width.

Hired_gunz

Commendable
Sep 8, 2016
apparently this gpu is common to get 80c plus and designed to get up to 95c but im dont like that. The case is a full tower so it is very tall. when gpu get hot i can fill hot air coming out of the top of case as it should and when i opend case before i could fill cool air coming from radiator to cpu. there seems to be a deadspot around or blow gpu that keeps it hot. i just need to figure a way to get air out im not around pc atm working but i will try with case off again and see. i will also remove unsed hd tray bays to help the flow intake in front of case. if anyone has other tips or anything let me know.

Jay Santos

Reputable
Apr 20, 2015
Did you set an aggressive fan curve?

I used to have a 390 and boy did it run hot. Mine hovered around 88 degrees with my fan curve. I can set it to kick in lower but then it would get loud.
Heat is just something AMD products are plagued with. They're decent products but less heat from silicon is better.

Hopefully your 390 isn't the Asus Strix. What they did with the heat pipes of that card is criminal.
870517d1450823239-r9-390-bessere-leisere-kuehlung-sapphire-nitro-backplate-vs-asus-strix-dc3oc-8gd5-gaming-kuehler.jpg

Hired_gunz

Commendable
Sep 8, 2016
so i did a fan curve that came with it will change around if needed. i also put in a 120 bottom intake fan under card. the highest iv seen card go now is like 82 c i think. it is msi version btw. it would be nice if i could get it 75c tops if possible not sure tho. i also removed some unused hd bay for front fan should also help. seems to have help tho by few temp just doing those things tho. what do you guys think?

heavyartillary9

Respectable
Sep 29, 2016

let me put it this way, i have a 390x, so i feel your pain, but what i have is 7 140mm case fans, 4 intake on the bottom half, 3 outtakes on the top half, and i have a custom fan curve set super sensitive, so its really loud, but it keeps my temps around 70 on lower end games