[SOLVED] MSI 450 Tomahawk max bios - Cant see anything but M2 HDD

Apr 17, 2020
I just built my new rig

Phanteks Eclipse P350X PH-EC350PTG_DBK Black Steel / Tempered Glass Compact E-ATX Mid-Tower Computer Case
XFX RX 5700 XT Thicc III 8GB GDDR6 3xDP HDMI PCI-Express 4.0 Graphics Card RX-57XT8TFD8 VR Ready, Ultra HD
CORSAIR CX-M Series CX550M 550W 80 PLUS BRONZE Haswell Ready ATX12V & EPS12V Semi-Modular Power Supply
Silicon Power Ace A55 2.5" 1TB SATA III 3D NAND Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) SU001TBSS3A55S25NE G.SKILL
Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3600 (PC4 28800) Desktop Memory Model F4-3600C18D-16GVK
MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX AM4 AMD B450 SATA 6Gb/s ATX AMD Motherboard
AMD RYZEN 5 3600X 6-Core 3.8 GHz (4.4 GHz Max Boost) Socket AM4 95W 100-100000022BOX Desktop Processor

The motherboard bios for MSI is not either seeing the two 2.5 HDD i have attached to SATA 1 , 2 does anyone have any idea how to fix this im missing 2 TB of space and only have 72 GB left :(

I have been working with one of my freinds remotley do we need to reflash the BIOS? what is causing this its a brand new setup this is the 1st build i have done since 2012

Solution
Would that be stopping my SSD and HDD not working. The rig seems to be running fine.
No it would not. It would only be a possible issue when putting the GPU under heavy load, like playing a game. Even then, those estimates are extremely conservative as it has to cover the possibility you might pair the card with a 9900KS processor.

Are you saying the BIOS does not recognize the drives? Have you checked the cables and moved them to different SATA ports? Some ports are commonly disabled when the system is configured in certain ways.

Have you installed Windows to the M.2 yet? Is it in Windows you don't see the drives? You won't until you format, create a volume and assign drive letters. You do that in Disk Manager

And yes, you...
Would that be stopping my SSD and HDD not working. The rig seems to be running fine.
No it would not. It would only be a possible issue when putting the GPU under heavy load, like playing a game. Even then, those estimates are extremely conservative as it has to cover the possibility you might pair the card with a 9900KS processor.

Are you saying the BIOS does not recognize the drives? Have you checked the cables and moved them to different SATA ports? Some ports are commonly disabled when the system is configured in certain ways.

Have you installed Windows to the M.2 yet? Is it in Windows you don't see the drives? You won't until you format, create a volume and assign drive letters. You do that in Disk Manager

And yes, you should flash the BIOS to the latest version for the board if it's not already at that version. But it would not likely have any bearing on the problem you're having.

Last edited:
Solution
Apr 17, 2020

And yes, you should flash the BIOS to the latest version for the board if it's not already at that version. But it would not likely have any bearing on the problem you're having.

Okay so i got this setup a few days ago I should only be using about 453- 496 Watts of power with everything hooked up and maxed out 550 Watt works fine. I am using the Ryzen 5 3600X and RX 5700 XT so far they both to seem be doing fine.

The MOBO is what im worried about should i order a new one and leave MSI i hear lots of bad things about them.

The Bios is the lastet updated. I have installed windows and as i tpye this to you i am on that version. The Bios is not seeing the drives i have two 2.5 SSD's I have moved from SATA ports 4, 6 to 1 ,2 and nothing still i think the cables are furbared i checked the hdd on another machine i have they worked fine. I am at end and getting annoyed with this a friend recommended new SATA cables i ordered some they will be here sunday.

hope that answers the questions.