[SOLVED] MSI 550M Pro-VDH: Ethernet disconnects and USB ports do not respond under load ?

Aug 27, 2022
Hello,

since a couple of weeks I have a problem when gaming or running other ressource heavy applications. I suspect it has something to do with the mainboard (MSI 550M Pro-VDH).

To be specific, after a couple of minutes in the game the framerates drop for a couple of seconds and I hear a sound as if a cable was pulled out. After that I can play on.

However, after this happens my ethernet port does not recognize the cable anymore and I have no internet connection. Also my Xbox headset which is connected via the USB dongle stops working.

When I reboot the computer I only get to the motherboard menu. However, I cannot access the BIOS as it does not react to keyboard commands.

The only thing that helps is hard reboot. After that everything works as usual until I start another ressource heavy application (i.e. games).

I have updated the BIOS and Mainboard drivers as well as the Ethernet Adapter. This has not solved the problem. I am also monitoring the temperatures of the CPU and GPU with HWMonitor. These seem to be fine. Obviously I have also changed the Ethernet cable...

I am running Windows 11 and my systems is as follows:

MSI 550M Pro-VDH
Geforce RTX 3070
AMD Ryzen 5600

If somebody has an idea on how to solve this problem I would be pretty thankful.

Last edited:
Solution
Its actually a problem with the Realtek connector

Also you could try different "speed and duplex" settings on the card, rather than auto, there is an issue with some of these realtek cards that they get overloaded and briefly disconnect.

As not all X570 or B550 get Realtek LAN, I have Intel on my X570.

speculated a driver update could fix it.

this fix might help as well - https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/realtek-network-adapter-is-constantly-disconnecting.3684122/

Colif

Win 11 Master
if you running resource heavy apps you need more power than you have. Obviously, since its shutting off what it sees as non essential items to make sure PC keeps running. You lucky its just USB, next in line to be turned off to save power is the GPU itself.

You need a 750 at least and an 850 to be sure, I would get an Corsair RMX 850 or a Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850

Last edited:
Reactions: Dark Lord of Tech
Aug 27, 2022
Hi,

many thanks so I got a new PSU with 850W and did a first test run. So far it seems to work! I did not think it could be the PSU as 650W was recommended e.g. for a Geforce 3070... I hope it keeps on working.

Reactions: Dark Lord of Tech
Aug 27, 2022
Hi,

so unfortunately the problem is back despite the new PSU. Same scenario. It works normal , but suddenly when playing it freezes and the headset and ethernet disconnect.

So I guess it must be the mainboard?

I am not monitoring any crazy temperatures... this is really weird.

Greets

Colif

Win 11 Master
Sorry to hear PSU didn't fix it.

it does sound like its the motherboard at this point. Problem is after one wrong guess, I am not going to be certain. That and there aren't any tests for a motherboard. You sort of test everything else and use a process of elimination.

One thought is it could be a USB device that is playing up and causing Ethernet to drop off.
I had a problem years ago where my mouse playing up would cause GPU drivers to not load and screen to turn off. Its not exactly the same as what you had as I never had problems on startup. Just randomly over a 3 month period my screen would turn off and I would need to restart to get windows to use right drivers.
It just showed me that its all interconnected. The chip that controls GPU also runs USB. So 1 device playing up can disturb others.
So ethernet dropping off could be in reaction to something else. Any old USB devices or Speakers? Anything played up recently?

Aug 27, 2022
Hi,

many thanks for the reply. So I have now experimented a little bit and looked up the device manager and the event log after the last crash.

There are the following problems in the device manager:

"AMD USV 3.10 extensible Host controller (Code 24)"
"Realtek PCIe GbE Family Controller not found"
"Intel(R)Dual Band Wireless AC 3168 - Driver Error"

In the event log the first error after the crash appears to be

"Realtek PCIe GbE Family Controller has a Hardware IO Error."

Actually the problem appears to be quite similar to the one in this thread:

and even more inthis one

Colif

Win 11 Master
"AMD USB 3.10 extensible Host controller (Code 24)"
It could help to update chipset drivers = https://www.amd.com/en/support/chipsets/amd-socket-am4/b550
See if any new intel Wifi drivers - https://www.intel.com.au/content/www/au/en/support/intel-driver-support-assistant.html

The same chip that controls Ethernet also does WIFI as well
in device manager,
  1. open Network adapters
  2. highlight your Gigabit Network connection
  3. go to view and swap to Devices by Connection
  4. If you click all the drop down arrows of items around it, you may find Intel Dual Band wifi is linked to the same PCI Express Upstream port as the Ethernet
Mine as an example, 2 items above my Ethernet connection is my WIFI
ZfyOWZ5.jpg

So if one device is not playing ball, it can cause others to stop working.

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2022
So just a short follow-up because I think I found a work-around (its not ideal but its something). I hope it will help other people with similar issues. Generally speaking, disconnecting USB Ports and network adapters appear to be a problem of x570 and especially 550b mainboards with AMD chipsets. After trying literally everything I changed in the advanced settings of the network adapter "speed and duplex" from automatic to 100 fullduplex. Since then I have no more connection problems.

As mentioned before, this is not ideal, but I hope it helps.

Greets

Colif

Win 11 Master
Its actually a problem with the Realtek connector

Also you could try different "speed and duplex" settings on the card, rather than auto, there is an issue with some of these realtek cards that they get overloaded and briefly disconnect.

As not all X570 or B550 get Realtek LAN, I have Intel on my X570.

speculated a driver update could fix it.

this fix might help as well - https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/realtek-network-adapter-is-constantly-disconnecting.3684122/

Last edited:
Solution