Question MSI 570 Tomahawk, PCIe Lane allocation question

jtk2515

Distinguished
Msi 570 Tomahawk Using PCIe risers with 4 GPu's and 2xm.2. How many Pcie lanes per device?

Currently
I have a 1070@145w and a 5800x@65w using a Evga 600w white PSU Mining Nicehash. I desire to make this my new main rig so I would like to swap the 1070 out for This setup.
6800xt on the x16 slot. slot 2 is a pci x4 I will use a riser and a 5700x. slot 3 is pcix8? will have a 5700xt. slot 4 is pct x4 I will have a riser and a 5700xt. For Psu I will use 2x 1000w hp silver Psu's with a splitter. Main psu on my 6800xt the secondary one on the other 3 5700xt's. All I need is PCI x1 on each of my 5700xt's but on my 6800xt I would need at least x8. I would also like to use 2x M.2 nvme ssd's.

I am Trying to figure out how all the Pcie lanes will be split. I just need x1 on the 5700x's. What would be the lanes per device in this configuration?

Riser cable
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/PCI-E-Expre...377728&hash=item4401d9da38:g:YlUAAOSwEoNe7SaB

PSU splitter
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/24-Pin-20-4...038071?hash=item3fbe344c37:g:bK4AAOSwX99ZnjMj

Last edited by a moderator:

Lutfij

Titan
You're better off buying a PSU from Phanteks, that can power two system's but that's technically pointless since you have one physical system, meaning you need just one massive PSU for the build.

To add, why do you want to add that many GPU's? For mining? Then how is it supposed to be your main rig? If so, you will also need to factor in the heat dumped and the cooling needed for your room, unless you're looking at a free sauna in the process...?

Is this the board you have?

The second PCIe x16 Gen 4 slot will be running at x4 mode only, regardless of what card you put in there. You can read more about your lane allocation from your motherboard manual, page 31.

Last edited:

jtk2515

Distinguished
You're better off buying a PSU from Phanteks, that can power two system's but that's technically pointless since you have one physical system, meaning you need just one massive PSU for the build.

To add, why do you want to add that many GPU's? For mining? Then how is it supposed to be your main rig? If so, you will also need to factor in the heat dumped and the cooling needed for your room, unless you're looking at a free sauna in the process...?

Is this the board you have?

The second PCIe x16 Gen 4 slot will be running at x4 mode only, regardless of what card you put in there. You can read more about your lane allocation from your motherboard manual, page 31.

Yes the 3 5700xt's would be for mining using Nice hash. The 6800xt is in a alien ware R10 atm, But I want to remove it because the motherboard is really locked down. No resizable bar memory voltage can't go above 1.4v. Where I live I use heating for most of the year but when it does get hot I think I will buy a mining board and put all the 5700xt's in the basement. Just started mining and honestly really enjoying learning about it and with all my friends at work. So I'm not saying this is the best setup, but I just want to try it out a little more while I wait and see what 1559 does to profitability.

Yes my motherboard is a Msi 570 tomahawk. I looked at my motherboard manual before, But I'm a little confused because I thought adding m.2 drives reduced the amount of Pcie lanes? or is the slots always the same speed as what the manual says.

Just using the 2 Psu's because I already have them or else I would get 1 big one.

E1 x16, E2 x1, E3x4, E4 x1, M2_1 x4 and M2_2 x4. So nothing changing even when all Pcie slots and M2 slots are used?