Question MSI 570x Gaming shut off, and only the VGA & BOOT LEDs are lit now ?

Sep 4, 2021
Howdy!

So a few hours ago I was just sitting at my desk, using my recently built pc like usual and it just shut off without any warning. Completely off. Hmm. Nothing remotely intensive is going on. Watching the Cardinals/Brewers stream, a few browser windows. The usual. So I reach down and hit the power switch and nothing. Check the cables, all good. The power strip is on and working, flip the switches on the power supply and still nothing.

My suspicion is the MSI 1070ti I picked up a few weeks ago, since the system has run flawlessly with my other two gpus for 18 months now. I unplug the PCI-E power cable (and the monitor hooked up to the TI) and hit the power button. The system powers! Except my new used card seems to be toast. The VGA idiot light on the motherboard comes on, but no bios or display on the monitors.

Hoping there is something run with the older R9 290 in the secondary slot, I remove it and re-power (and re-monitor) the 1070. Power the rig up (and the card lights up and the card fans spin) but the system now hangs with both the VGA and BOOT idiot lights on. Still zero graphic display. Card is dead, I figure. So I swap it for the 290 and the exact same thing happens after.

Math says it's safe to say that both video cards did NOT fail at the same moment, so I'm not sure what to check next. Any insights are greatly appreciated.

Specs:
MSI MPG X570 Gaming+
Ryzen 3900X
64 gigs GSKILL RAM
WIN 10

Howdy!

So a few hours ago I was just sitting at my desk, using my recently built pc like usual and it just shut off without any warning. Completely off. Hmm. Nothing remotely intensive is going on. Watching the Cardinals/Brewers stream, a few browser windows. The usual. So I reach down and hit the power switch and nothing. Check the cables, all good. The power strip is on and working, flip the switches on the power supply and still nothing.

My suspicion is the MSI 1070ti I picked up a few weeks ago, since the system has run flawlessly with my other two gpus for 18 months now. I unplug the PCI-E power cable (and the monitor hooked up to the TI) and hit the power button. The system powers! Except my new used card seems to be toast. The VGA idiot light on the motherboard comes on, but no bios or display on the monitors.

Hoping there is something run with the older R9 290 in the secondary slot, I remove it and re-power (and re-monitor) the 1070. Power the rig up (and the card lights up and the card fans spin) but the system now hangs with both the VGA and BOOT idiot lights on. Still zero graphic display. Card is dead, I figure. So I swap it for the 290 and the exact same thing happens after.

Math says it's safe to say that both video cards did NOT fail at the same moment, so I'm not sure what to check next. Any insights are greatly appreciated.

RIG: Ryzen 3900x, 64 gigs GSKILL ram, MSI MPG X570 Gaming+, WIN 10
tried using 1 ram only in each slot? tried to use the gpu on another pc? Tried to update to the latest bios using bios flashback?

Sep 4, 2021
Update: I tried flashing the BIOS via MSI's instructions but the machine still just locks with the VGA and BOOT lights on. Since I've adjusted BIOS settings for ram and slight oc'ing before I started using the new used 1070ti, a CMOS reset seemed in order. Did that. Partial success! Now the machine simply freezes on VGA, but the BOOT light no longer comes on with it. I then went stick by stick of RAM in slot 1 and the same VGA results every time, all of these with an HDMI and a DVI output hooked up.

The green light on the 290 lights up like usual, so I don't think the card/s both died at the same time, so I'm running out of ideas. Will update with further testing but that won't be until later tonight.

Sep 4, 2021
summons dead thread

After ignoring my issues, I went back to work last night and have some updates.

Decided to test my power supply on my old machine, which I've been using since this one went down, and nothing. Hooked everything up that was necessary and it wouldn't power on at all. Mind you, this is a ten year old Athlon 8-core with a 600 watt PSU, so my much beefier newer unit should be fine. I then rehooked up the old PSU and it booted without issue. So I tried the swap again and butkus. Hooked the old one back up and fired up again without issue.

Rather than pull my remaining hair out, I tried putting my 570 into the new machine and it is up and running without issue. Tried it in both pci-e slots and it works as it should. Again tried my other two GPUs and neither of them boot. VGA idiot light. So I'm stumped. It seems as if both of my cards were fried at once when the system shut off as mentioned in the first post. My old PSU can't power either card, so that is a dead end. I'm not against buying a new modular PSU for my old machine but good lord this has me baffled.