MSI 694D Pro-AR with (2) P-III 1G?

kirkdickinson

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2001
I read the dual processor article on this site. I am interested in setting up a dual system.

Will the MSI 694D Pro-AR work with two P-III 1 Gig cpus?

On MSI's website it only says that it supports 233 MHz - 866 MHz or faster. So, does "Or Faster" mean 1-Gig?

On another website, I found this statement <i>"All SECC2/Slot 1 processors up to, but not including, 1Ghz are SMP capable. SECC2 processors of 1Ghz and up are not SMP capable."</i>
I don't know for sure what SECC2 means? Does this mean that the 1-Ghz processors are not SMP capable?

Thanks

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
SECC2 is the newer package type for slot 1 with plastic cover only on one side, they should have just said slot 1. The MSI 694D supports FCPGA, aka socket 370 processors. So the article you just mentioned does not mention the socket version that fits this motherboard. Slot processors do not apply to this board. So relax.

Suicide is painless...........

kirkdickinson

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2001
Aren't all coppermine chips at a given speed the same whether they are packaged as a Slot 1 or a socket 370?

Or does the SMP not working on Slot 1 / 1-Ghz have to do with a limitation of the packaging?

Thanks, this website is a wealth of information.

Kirk

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I think that it might just be a packaging issue, that is, the slot one packaging has inferior connection and longer wires, and I'm sure there are other differences that I don't even know about. It might even be a problem with the tracers creating electrical noise. Since I do not ahve all the details, this is all I can say. Of coarse, you could get two 933's, or overclock something.

kirkdickinson

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2001
I finally found a chart on Intels website that shows that the 1-ghz 370 is SMP capable. The only question would be about the Mobo.

I wish there was a dual board out there with the new VIA 266 chipset that takes DDR.

Maybe I should just go ahead and get the MSI with the two processors and get PC-133, it is cheap, but I think the DDR would be much more fun.

Kirk

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I would go ahead with the MSI unit. VIA chipset-sure, they have issues, but right now it's your only choice. Besides, anyone running SMP should be technically proficient. Expect 2100 DDR to drop in price quickly, and a SMP DDR board to be around in a few months. Since no one really wants to wait that long, go ahead and build it, maybe upgrade to a new board and ram in 6 to 12 months.

kirkdickinson

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2001
Hey, I found one that I like better. Iwill has it on their website. Unfortunately, I can't find anybody selling the thing yet.

http://www.iwillusa.com/products/spec.asp?ModelName=DVD266-R&SupportID=
DVD266-R Specifications
Processor
Supports Dual Intel Pentium III Processors from 500 MHz to 1 GHz and higher
Supports Single Intel Celeron Processors from 300 MHz to 733 MHz
Adjustable Vcore Function

Chipset
VIA Apollo Pro266 Chipset
VIA VT8633 BGA552
VIA VT8233 BGA376
C-Media CMI8738 Sound Chip
AMI 80649 ATA/100 IDE RAID Controller

Bus Frequency
Supports 133/100/66 MHz FSB (up to 150 MHz)
Microstepping Iwill Smart Setting
CPU Multiplier Selection from BIOS (2X to 12X)
CPU External Frequency Selection from BIOS (66 to 150 MHz)
Software CPU Frequency Setting

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Now that's one hellava board! I didn't think these things would be out for a while, but I guesse they are just comming out. Checked Pricewatch, nothing yet, but if it's this close to release it is probably worth waiting for.