[SOLVED] MSI 760 add NVMe with PCIe adapter.

biggman100

Reputable
Dec 8, 2018
I have an MSI 760GMA-P34(FX) that i was wondering if there would be any benefit to adding a NVMe (or M.2 drive) using a PCIe adapter. One of the issues though, i have Linux (Ubuntu Studio), on a dual boot with WIN10, but, i read that with an NVMe, it has to be set to UEFI, and, when i do that, my Ubuntu wont load no matter which way i try it, and i havent figured out yet if any version of Ubuntu Studio will boot on UEFI. I only started looking into it because i have Win10 on an SSD drive, but i have always had odd issues with it, like, sometimes when i restart it and load Win10, it will hang, and i have to unplug it, and then plug it back in before it will boot, but, Ubuntu i never have that issue with, but, since a lot of my games are stored on a regular HDD, and i have no more room for any more drives, i thought adding an NVMe, and getting rid of the HDD's and switching to SSD's for storage would solve some of the issues with it. I also thought about finding a MB that would work with the components i already have ( 8GB DDR3, AMD FX-8350 black, Radeon R9 270X GPU), and have a built in NVMe slot, but, so far i havent found one.

Solution
i read that with an NVMe, it has to be set to UEFI
No. Not true.

You have no way of installing M.2 nvme drive into that pc.
Only PCIE slot, where M.2 PCIE adapter could go in is occupied with your graphics card.
Small PCIE slot is PCIE 2.0 x1. Compared to normal PCIE 3.0 x4 - it has 8 times less bandwidth. You loose all benefits of nvme with it.
Lower slot is PCI (not PCIE). You can not put M.2 PCIE adapter in it.

Get a larger capacity 2.5"sata SSD instead. Forget about nvme on that pc.
i read that with an NVMe, it has to be set to UEFI
No. Not true.

You have no way of installing M.2 nvme drive into that pc.
Only PCIE slot, where M.2 PCIE adapter could go in is occupied with your graphics card.
Small PCIE slot is PCIE 2.0 x1. Compared to normal PCIE 3.0 x4 - it has 8 times less bandwidth. You loose all benefits of nvme with it.
Lower slot is PCI (not PCIE). You can not put M.2 PCIE adapter in it.

Get a larger capacity 2.5"sata SSD instead. Forget about nvme on that pc.

Solution
BTW - if your pc requires more sata ports, you can get them with PCI sata controller card (not PCIE card - pay attention to this).
PCIE sata controller card probably would be obstructed by your graphics card.

41cl5ePa6FL._AC_SX355_.jpg

biggman100

Reputable
Dec 8, 2018
It wasnt about adding more drives. It was because i found NVMe drives way cheaper than SSD drives, and higher capacity. I found 500GB NVMe's for about the price of 240GB SSD's. Either way, i need to replace the 3TB HDD with something better, and 3TB SSD's are way out of my price range, so, i thought get a 4 port NVME card, and do 4 500GB NVME's in a raid configuration. I know that will only give me 2TB total, but, i can upgrade to 1TB NVMe's later when funds are available.