MSI 760GM-E51 (FX) Audio Issues

armanition

Honorable
Jul 25, 2012
Hey Tom's Hardware,

As the title states, I'm having *somewhat* annoying audio issues with my motherboard. :pfff: I'm using the MSI 760GM-E51 (FX) motherboard that I had just bought, maybe a week or so ago. Everything works perfectly on the board, except for the audio (So I've been led to believe by these difficulties I've been having). I'm using Logitech Z506 5.1 surround sound speakers. Prior to getting this board, I could hear audio perfectly out of each speaker. Now, with having this board, I can only seem to get audio out of my front pair, and my subwoofer. I'm using the latest driver from this motherboard's driver page on MSI's website. I've also tried the driver from Realtek's website (It's the Realtek ALC889 chipset). Either way, I get the same results. No matter what I try to get this to work properly, it's to no avail.

It's a bit annoying seeing as how I bought these speakers for the purpose of having it actually be surround sound, rather than just a 2.1 speaker system with three *seemingly* useless speakers. I know these speakers work fine because I've tried them with other computers, so the speakers aren't faulty.

I know this might seem a bit vague of a description, and I apologize for that in advance, but any help would be greatly appreciated!

I can try to help clarify any questions you guys might have to the best of my ability. :)

mubin

Distinguished
I am using that type of driver for realtek. No problem. I hope there is no problem with speaker.

I see you are using 4 audio port out of 6. Just connect the green speaker jack to blue port and configure it as line out(rear/front) to see if that port is working. Also do it to other port to see if there is any issue with audio port.

armanition

Honorable
Jul 25, 2012
COLGeek,
I've already tried using Realtek's latest drivers for my chipset, and I got the same results :(

mubin,
The reason why I'm not using all 6 audio ports is because I don't use 7.1 channel speakers, I have 5.1. Each cable is connected to their corresponding-colored port. (I did it in a very well-lit environment so they're definitely connected properly)

COLGeek

Cybernaut

This is good advice and should be tried.

armanition

Honorable
Jul 25, 2012
Haha oh! Either way though, all of the ports are working properly (even after testing each one with just the green cable).

I'm going to guess that it must be a software issue then.

I should probably add that my GPU is a Radeon HD 6770, and I've also heard that using the HDMI audio via the GPU might affect the audio chipset onboard.

I've done this plenty of times, but never actually had that ever occur...

armanition

Honorable
Jul 25, 2012
Like I said before mubin, I've tested each and every port and all are working perfectly. So, it's probably a driver issue.

And COLGeek, my Realtek HD audio device is and has always been set as the default playback device. I've occasionally used my 6770 for audio (for use with an HDTV) and it worked flawlessly.

It's just recently that my audio output got "nerfed" (so to speak) for reasons I can't figure out for the life of me. My 6770 never affected my built-in audio chipset. A bit of a shot in the dark here, but maybe with recent driver releases (either with Realtek or AMD) they could be conflicting somehow?