MSI 760GM-P23 (FX) stuck on black screen with cursor

aznxsoulrave98

Honorable
Oct 14, 2012
I just bought a barebone bundle, specs are:
MSI 760GM-P23 (FX) AMD Socket AM3+ Motherboard and AMD Athlon II X4 640 Quad Core Processor and Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus CPU Cooler and Corsair CMX4GX3M1A1333C9 XMS3 4GB DDR3 RAM X2

Installed everything, put in my old hard drive to boot it up. Everything seems fine at first with the initial "MSI top quality & stability" screen, follow by a beep. Then goes to this black screen with a blinking cursor on the top left corner for about 5 seconds, suddenly the cursor moved maybe 10 spaces to the right and 3 lines down and freezes. It just stuck there. Doesn't go to the bios, doesn't go anywhere. Please help, I can't figure out what's the problem with it.

If it's problem with the CPU then it shouldn't start and beep. I tired different RAM it's still the same problem. Please help.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
If you're trying to boot from a hard disk with your old operating system on it, that's the problem. It is expecting to see the system it had when originally installed. You need to clean install the operating system when you have a new motherboard..

call_me_tom

Honorable
Oct 22, 2012

Looks like we both bought the same deal. I find the same issue but can get around by making the first boot device the Infinity 2.5 built into the BIOS. It will then load and prompt you for the partition to boot. Your old HD should work fine but it will have to load new drivers etc.