Msi 7970 Lightning vs MSI 670 PE

JJ1217

Honorable
Hey guys, pretty much narrowed it down to these two cards.

The 670 PE 2GB is available for $500 at a shop in AUS, while the 7970 Lightning 3GB is available for $550.

I'm happy to pay the extra 50, if its worth it. I am currently playing at 1080p, but at December when I plan to purchase it, I'll also be getting a 1440p monitor.

I really want to get the 7970, but somehow the PhysX and Cuda stuff I see draws me in, but since I'll be playing at 1440p the 3GB on the 7970 draws me in as well.

I will be planning to overclock, but is the Lightning version worth it for the Ocing? (Are all 7970's voltage unlocked?). Also, which 7970 is the best one? The DCUII TOP 7970 is $530, but is clocked much lower than the 7970.

Please give me your opinions.

Many Thanks

~JJ1217

The 7970 lightning if you want to overclock, otherwise just get a 7970 ghz edition something like a Sapphire HD 7970 Ghz Edition VaporX version will do nicely.

If you want to game at Ultra detail but limited AA and AF as well as other eyecandies, then the GTX 670, anything 4XMSAA upward your choice is simple a Radeon.

^ Yeah the reason why i was thinking it's maybe better is because one of my friends him and his brother have 7970 and 670 PE the one brother has Sapphire HD 7970 Ghz Edition VaporX and the other has MSI GTX 670 Power Edition Twin Frozr IV in the tests they ran against each other the cards traded blows no clear winner they both were pissed neither of their cards spanked the other lol

Burgies

Honorable
Jul 8, 2012
The 3GB is only really need for 3 monitors. The 670 should have faster frame rates. I saw a benchmarkof power edition beating reference 680. I am currently considering the 670 and am in Aus. Where did you find that price?

I am not sure i am just going by what professional reliable review sites claim i never try the card or seen it in action before sorry.

JJ1217

Honorable
The Power Edition is $500 at PCCG, and the 7970 which I'm most likely to get, is $550 at Skycomp. happy shopping. The problem is I doubt 2GB is going to be enough at 1440P maxed out, and 3GB is alot more future proof with a higher memory bandwidth as well. Its cooler and more efficient, and I'd love to get the DCII 7970, but I've heard its voltages are locked for some reason, which completely defeats the fact of getting such a good cooler.

lol there more than two games your drinking to much red kool aid today bud :lol: but yes at that res i recommend the 7970 as well OP he owns the card so he knows what it can do :)

JJ1217

Honorable
Sweet, someone who actually has the card I'm looking for. Benchmark wise, how does this card perform compared to the 670? Comprehensively, or barely? The GTX 680 Lightning is also available for $600, and again I wouldn't mind paying $50 more since I can overclock that card again. But since the lightning doesn't get especially special overclocks, would I be better off getting another cheaper card, or a GTX 680 lightning?

Thanks.

JJ1217

Honorable
Whats the best 7970 though? I really appreciate your help, but you saying that it overclocks no higher than other card really makes it seem pointless to buy that particular card. Since I'm going for a quiet/silent and cool build, would it be better to buy like a Gigabyte 7970 for $480 Ghz which is already overclocked at 1100 Core and 6000 memory, it seems too good to pass up on.

EDIT: When should we roughly expect the HD 8*** series? Any chance of it coming early next year? I feel like I am really only upgrading for Crysis 3, in which case I'm happy to wait until February to hear some news about it. I game right now on a 7850 from Sapphire, and that is currently more than enough, but when I get to 1440p I really doubt its going to do well.

Thanks.

+1 i would wait for next series only card that has impressed me was the Asus 670 Top which can't be found anywhere and would not game well on that high a res your best bet is waiting it out till next series or getting the Vapor-X ;)