My PC is as follows:

Motherboard: MSI 870-G45
CPU: Athlon II X3 455
CPU Cooler: Coolermaster Hyper 212+
GPU: Sapphire Radeon 5670
RAM: G.Skill Ripjaw F3-10666CL7D-4GBRH
PSU: Antec BP550
Case: Antec 300 Illusion
HD 1: Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB (Main)
HD 2: Western Digital Caviar Green 2TB
HD 3: Western Digital Caviar Green 2TB

This is an all purpose computer with light to medium gaming and often photoshop and video editing.

I've stumbled upon forums that indicate that the MSI 870-G45 has VRM issues and fear that I may damage my motherboard. I am fairly new to overclocking and followed a guide at overclockers club for my athlon II x3. I was able to reach 4.1 Ghz overclock but needed to raise my vcore to 1.5. Stress testing the system with Linx passed 10 runs at 2048 memory. Running Prime95 26.6 for 24 hrs passed with Blend. Temps didn't go beyond 45 Celsius according to HWMonitor for the motherboard and never above 35 Celsius on Cores. HWMonitor also reported that vcore fluctuated to 1.55 Max, would this be a problem for my setup?

Solution
Here are the AMD specs for your processor

Note that 1.4v and 75c. I won't advise you to run your CPU beyond spec :lol: BUT I have an X3 450 that defaults to 1.475v on an AM3+ motherboard and runs more hot than yours.

Your IMC/NB is great -- as is your HT. Your RAMs are essentially running spec at 5.33X248MHz. Your mobo apparently excepts your voltage settings - don't go into the 'red zone'

Not sure about your BIOS, but some motherboards have 'LLC' (load line calibration) which may be adjusted to minimize/reduce that volt bump.

1.5v is the danger zone for me but I'm very conservative when it comes to the 'volts'. At that voltage it may be difficult to maintain your over-clock long-term (2 years?), but your CPU...
If you are worried about the PWM, running 1.55v will most likely uncover any 'issues' -- your temps look great, however, but you may want to throw as many 'utilities' at it as you can to look for consistency.

How fast is your IMC/NB? For each 10% above stock, memory bandwidth is increased 3-4% and latency is reduced 3-4%. It would be worth dropping back the overall CPU clock to run the IMC/NB at 2500-2600MHz.

You may have hit the ol' AMD 'volt wall' where the last few GHz require a serious bump in vcore. What was your voltage at 3.8GHz or so?

Luv those X3 Rana chips - looks like you got a winner!

Unknownvirus

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2011

Thanks for the reply. Actually while on the subject, here is how my overclock looks.

I left cpu multiplier at 16.5 with FSB (I believe that's what it's called) of 248. My northbridge is actually below 2500-2600 as it only has a multiplier of x10 max. It's at 2480. I'm not sure how far I can push the Rana chip, what would be maximum vcore voltage? I heard it was 1.55v so that's why I'm leaving it where it is. My motherboard indicates in the bios that safe voltages can reach as high as 2.00v, default is at 1.365 but I'm not sure if it's safe to push it that far. Especially when my motherboard fluctuates in voltage (not sure what the term is called), increasing by 0.05v when under load compared to what I set it in the bios. I have not touched voltage settings for NB, HT and RAM. HT I made sure was as close to 2000 as possible, 1984 mhz to be exact. My frequency for Dram is set lower than 1333 (the default) as it can't OC.

EDIT:

Just for the sake of trying, I tried increasing the voltage past 1.5 and it indicated as red meaning its dangerous according to the bios. Does that mean that I should decrease the voltage to 1.45 because the motherboard adds 0.05v when under full load? Thanks again.

Here are the AMD specs for your processor

Note that 1.4v and 75c. I won't advise you to run your CPU beyond spec :lol: BUT I have an X3 450 that defaults to 1.475v on an AM3+ motherboard and runs more hot than yours.

Your IMC/NB is great -- as is your HT. Your RAMs are essentially running spec at 5.33X248MHz. Your mobo apparently excepts your voltage settings - don't go into the 'red zone'

Not sure about your BIOS, but some motherboards have 'LLC' (load line calibration) which may be adjusted to minimize/reduce that volt bump.

1.5v is the danger zone for me but I'm very conservative when it comes to the 'volts'. At that voltage it may be difficult to maintain your over-clock long-term (2 years?), but your CPU clearly has no heat or stability issues, and I suspect runs really great.

It might also run great at 16x248MHz with a 0.0125v or more volt reduction. That's a call you have to make - LOL

Solution

Pamirace

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2011
Guys you are talking about my chip, and I am sorry to come in like this, but I am having a voltage issue. I am seeing it drop randomly to about 1.0v, and then come back up to 1.35

I was wondering if something is wrong, or is this normal. I just built my first system last night, and I hope my chip isn't bad.

You should probably start a new thread -- and list your system specs.

Without more input, though, I would not worry. That sounds like a power-management function called 'Cool & Quiet' or C&Q.

It automatically drops your voltage and CPU multiplier when the CPU load is minimal.

TRENDING THREADS