MSI 890FXA-GD70 compatibility issue (Video Card, HD 5970) PLEASE HELP!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

jedirobus

Distinguished
May 16, 2010
Hey everyone, I'd appreciate any feedback on this issue cause its bugging the heck out of me and people elsewhere sound about as stumped as I am.

Ok, so I've build a new system using the MSI 890fxa-GD70, 1090t Phenom II X6. Now, after I get everything hooked up with my new Radeon HD 5970 it hangs on boot up with the starting windows logo and won't hit the desktop. I naturally assume its a RAM issue since I couldn't install win 7 unless I went down to 1 stick of RAM and when I did I could not properly install the drivers on the video card. This is a fresh system build. The two times I tried after having to reboot I would get the generic error "No ATI device recognized or installed" etc etc. So I was stuck with a 640 by 480 in 16 colors setup. Before I'm labeled with some criticism, yes I -did- check RAM voltages and apply them accordingly. I went from auto 1333 to 1600mhz at 1.65v and went into DCT 0 and also put them at cas 7 8 7 24. Still nothing, I thought well, maybe its the video card then. I plugged my new card into my old dual core system, also an MSI board, and it popped up and accepted the drivers like a charm, Win7 64 bit as well. So I was told maybe it was a bad PSU in my new system so I went from a tier 3 power supply to a Tier 2 Corsair TX850w. Same thing, nothing,

After much frustration, I ended up putting my old Geforce 8800GTS 512mb into my new system (I don't remember why I did, I believe my other older psu from my current system was bugging out or something) Low and behold, my new system boots up with all 8 sticks of RAM like a charm and Win 7 auto installs a driver for the card and it starts working -great-. I thought maybe there was a fluke somewhere and when I moved the Radeon back it started hanging out again, I went back to the Geforce and booted it up just fine again and ran a mem diagnostic, hoping I could more thoroughly check out what was going wrong on the system. It was only a Windows memory diagnostic, not memtest86, but I ran two standard tests and one extended memory test with NO problems. I would like to believe that the windows tester would at least pick up some inclination of a problem even though Im told its not a reliable tester, if one that prevented booting would exist. So, now, here I am wondering if its some kind of compatibility issue with the video card and Mo Bo or what. Which would make little sense since its an AMD chipset made for crossfire X and ATI cards so why have problems with an ATI card? I am using this Radeon HD 5970 right now on my old system to post this message and have run a few games on it with no problems as well...I even put it on a friends system to test it, no problems, So is it a compatibility issue or a bad MoBo or what? Seeing as my old video card and the system itself boots just fine with it together but not with the new one. I cant believe that TWO PSUs back to back are bad in a row, even though the first one didnt seem bad to begin with.

Please, help, Im about to RMA the board but I need to know if its a video card issue or what and if I should return that or something...

MSI 890fxa-GD70
Corsair TX850w
G.Skill Ripjaw DDR 3 1600mhz 8 GB
AMD Phenom II X6 1090t @ 3.2ghz
WD Velciraptor HD 74GB 10k rpm (boot)
Sapphire Radeon HD 5970 2 GB (old card is EVGA Geforce 8800GTS 512mb)

Old sys
AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200+
MSI K9N4 SLI board
3 GB of G.SKill DDR2

Solution

We did Beta 1.6b which final is out now, on there website. You can only post link here for photo using HTML code. Like this

4645565738_aac46f3d90_b.jpg

Power to Furry Raider

Foxler

goodymon22

Distinguished
May 17, 2010

Well disabling the USB was only to cure the very slow install and very slow boot but didn't have any affect on the video card conflict. Initial I was only concentrating on the slow boot problem and found several threads out there with tons of different things to try and that just happened to be one of them on the list that "worked" I am hoping that tonight when I try a small video card that the conflict and slow boot problem goes away and all this just proves to be a hardware conflict between MSi 890FXA-GD70 and the Radeon HD 5970 and sadly means that I just need a different motherboard. If need be I plan on going with the GIGABYTE GA-890FXA-UD5

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128441

jedirobus

Distinguished
May 16, 2010

Well, thats what I ended up thinking at this point, if some BIOS fix cant work around it then it appears to be a hardware conflict but I've heard a post elsewhere saying that all Dual GPU cards are having problems. Rather unfortunate since I really liked the features the MSI board had over the gigabyte board but that's probably the one I'm gonna go with too. The ASUS board is a bit more expensive plus I would also have to buy a SATA DVD drive on top of that and I still need to get data off an IDE HD that I have connected stiill that I use for backup and the Gigabyte board would assist that. I hope its not some weird bug in the 890fx chipset itself or something. As for that work around, that nvidia card SHOULD work because my 8800GTS works in the new system with that board. I need to post an update on the MSI forums and go to newegg and warn people who plan on buying the MSI board, probably give it 3 to 4 eggs because the board works great...with non Dual GPU cards or maybe just the HD 5970 in general. So sad...I hope there is something that can be done in the next few days before I send off this board. Just explain the problem to newegg and they will let you refund, I did and they let me because its a bug conflict and not the fault of me. I had no idea prior to purchase and it IS a brand new board that hasnt had this problem established.

jedirobus

Distinguished
May 16, 2010

Fox, I'd be wary of the C4F i've seen reports of the Heatsink screws being wacky on the reviews there at newegg...

jedirobus

Distinguished
May 16, 2010

I just got off the phone with MSI myself and the gentlemen said he'd try and call me back in a couple hours and I told him about my distress and my outright love of the company almost since day 1 of my PC building days and he offered me a free upgrade to the yet unannounced Big Bang Fusion MoBo for AMD CPUs that allows crossing of Nvidia and ATI cards I got excited and said that'd be great but i'd prefer a fix to this problem right now, plus Im personally getting a little tired of waiting and who knows when they'll release that motherboard...just thought i'd add to the list of people calling MSI to let them know whats up.

starfoxacefox

Distinguished
May 3, 2010
Good news I got beta Bios from MSI today "MSI Tech. 05/18/2010 Please try this beta bios and see if that resolves your problem"

If it work I will let you guys know and you can request bios from MSI.

Bios: 7640v145

Foxler

goodymon22

Distinguished
May 17, 2010

I just received the same email as well, I wont be able to try it until I get home tonight but I will post as soon as I know if it works or not!!

*fingers crossed*

starfoxacefox

Distinguished
May 3, 2010

~shakes my head~

Nah no go..

Pci Express Standard Root Port - Code 12

Foxler

jedirobus

Distinguished
May 16, 2010

I hope you call or email them back so they can address it before the bios thing goes live...I only have like two more days before I must send the board off. I'd call them myself but I cant cause I have to go to work but I'll call them when I get off in the morning again for sure...we should keep on them

starfoxacefox

Distinguished
May 3, 2010
Alright I will keep in touch with them, seeing how fast they got a beta bios out they should be able to fix this shortly. If you really want to keep the board, I would and pressure them harder.

Foxler

goodymon22

Distinguished
May 17, 2010
Ok so I just tried the Beta Bios version 1.4B5 with no success, same

"PCI Express standard Root Port that has a code 12 This device cannot find enough free resources that it can use"

I am very please to have been kept informed about the beta bios and how quickly they came out with one, I will be calling them tomorrow to let them know that it didn't work and hope for the next one.

Because of a very long power failure last night I never had a chance to try a smaller video card so I'm off to try that now.

goodymon22

Distinguished
May 17, 2010
Ok so I tried my friends BFG Nvidia GeForce 9800 GT with the latest drivers (197.45 WHQL) and sadly it works... no more slow boot, no more "PCI Express standard Root Port that has a code 12 This device cannot find enough free resources that it can use" and the card is properly recognized in the device manager.

I guess that means that it is a hardware conflict between MSi 890FXA-GD70 and the Radeon HD 5970 and need to just pray for a bios fix for this problem.

I have called newegg and they said that I can wait until the last day of the 30 day return policy for a fix and if there is no fix by then that I can call them back and have the return policy extended at that time or return it. "Come on MSi we're counting on you!" By the way I am an Asus fan and this is my first MSi product ever but I just like the setup of this board to much to want to lose it.

starfoxacefox

Distinguished
May 3, 2010
Well it's my job to find a solution, fairly I'm getting sick of it. That why I get pay so other don't have to deal with it.

Funny thing I've yet to find ANY reviews on this board tested with 5970 :p So it was well known issue and MSI told them which video card to review with or they spent all that good money on games lol

Comes on you think company would $$$$$$$ would have tested for these things.

Foxler

jedirobus

Distinguished
May 16, 2010
i'll definitely be calling them this morning as well...I might call newegg too and see If I can wait till the end myself. I really like the setup of this board too and bein an MSI guy it sucks to have to send it back. I'm pleased that they are trying to fix the issue. Let's hope they can find one.

goodymon22

Distinguished
May 17, 2010
OH BOY!! Just got an email with another beta bios to try, I won't be able to try it until I get home tonight but as soon as I try it I will be sure to post if it worked or not!!

*fingers crossed*

jedirobus

Distinguished
May 16, 2010

It does work, however, now I cant set my RAM to 1600 mhz anymore. I get a black screen and have to wipe the CMOS battery. Funny, when I used my single gpu I was able to do this no problem and have it boot. I set the voltage to 1.65v and changed my timing to 7 8 7 24 moved my stepping to 1:4 like I used to and now I cant get it to come back up...any clues. New BIOS bug? Or am I missing something...

goodymon22

Distinguished
May 17, 2010
Sigh... I think the universe doesn't want me to have this build or something. I arrived home today with high hopes of installing the new bios and without even doing anything to the computer yet I tried turning it on and now it wont post... I have tried clearing the CMOS by using the JBAT1 jumpers and removing and replacing the battery but still no post. It stays stuck on 2A on the debug LED panel "Initialize onboard devices. Load Option ROM (VGA and RAID option ROM) from BIOS to memory"

I SHALL NOT SURRENDER!!

Sigh... guess i'm calling MSi and newegg tomorrow to RMA this board...

finally a bios that should work and now this!!

starfoxacefox

Distinguished
May 3, 2010

Hmm I only have 1333 but, it work fine pushing it 1600 on the bus, but could be that with more resources video card, wont let higher memory speed. I did see something like that with MSi nForce 4 x16 SLI board, after placing 2 7950GX2 in there it wouldn't see more than 2.5gb of ram out of my 3gb''s at the bios level.

Foxler

dominic5555

Distinguished
May 24, 2010

Hello, my name is Dominic and I just built my computer and I have the same issue with the MSI 890FXA-GD70 with the HD Radeon 5970. I've been building computers fro 10yrs and have never had any problems with MSI motherboards. I just spent $800 on the Radeon 5970; I hope it is the motherboard. The sad part about this is I believe my 30 days has ran out so I hope they have a bios fix. In the mean time I will have to go get the Gigabyte motherboard and see if it works with the Radeon 5970. If they get a bios fix I will put the MSI motherboard back in. I work from 7 am - 7 pm at nite so no time to contact MSI tech support, I'm so glad there are people like you out there to help us out! I will keep in touch with you thru these posts and the reviews to see what's going on. If MSI gets a bio fix or not. Thank you for your help!