MSI 890FXA-GD70 compatibility issue (Video Card, HD 5970) PLEASE HELP!

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

jedirobus

Distinguished
May 16, 2010
Hey everyone, I'd appreciate any feedback on this issue cause its bugging the heck out of me and people elsewhere sound about as stumped as I am.

Ok, so I've build a new system using the MSI 890fxa-GD70, 1090t Phenom II X6. Now, after I get everything hooked up with my new Radeon HD 5970 it hangs on boot up with the starting windows logo and won't hit the desktop. I naturally assume its a RAM issue since I couldn't install win 7 unless I went down to 1 stick of RAM and when I did I could not properly install the drivers on the video card. This is a fresh system build. The two times I tried after having to reboot I would get the generic error "No ATI device recognized or installed" etc etc. So I was stuck with a 640 by 480 in 16 colors setup. Before I'm labeled with some criticism, yes I -did- check RAM voltages and apply them accordingly. I went from auto 1333 to 1600mhz at 1.65v and went into DCT 0 and also put them at cas 7 8 7 24. Still nothing, I thought well, maybe its the video card then. I plugged my new card into my old dual core system, also an MSI board, and it popped up and accepted the drivers like a charm, Win7 64 bit as well. So I was told maybe it was a bad PSU in my new system so I went from a tier 3 power supply to a Tier 2 Corsair TX850w. Same thing, nothing,

After much frustration, I ended up putting my old Geforce 8800GTS 512mb into my new system (I don't remember why I did, I believe my other older psu from my current system was bugging out or something) Low and behold, my new system boots up with all 8 sticks of RAM like a charm and Win 7 auto installs a driver for the card and it starts working -great-. I thought maybe there was a fluke somewhere and when I moved the Radeon back it started hanging out again, I went back to the Geforce and booted it up just fine again and ran a mem diagnostic, hoping I could more thoroughly check out what was going wrong on the system. It was only a Windows memory diagnostic, not memtest86, but I ran two standard tests and one extended memory test with NO problems. I would like to believe that the windows tester would at least pick up some inclination of a problem even though Im told its not a reliable tester, if one that prevented booting would exist. So, now, here I am wondering if its some kind of compatibility issue with the video card and Mo Bo or what. Which would make little sense since its an AMD chipset made for crossfire X and ATI cards so why have problems with an ATI card? I am using this Radeon HD 5970 right now on my old system to post this message and have run a few games on it with no problems as well...I even put it on a friends system to test it, no problems, So is it a compatibility issue or a bad MoBo or what? Seeing as my old video card and the system itself boots just fine with it together but not with the new one. I cant believe that TWO PSUs back to back are bad in a row, even though the first one didnt seem bad to begin with.

Please, help, Im about to RMA the board but I need to know if its a video card issue or what and if I should return that or something...

MSI 890fxa-GD70
Corsair TX850w
G.Skill Ripjaw DDR 3 1600mhz 8 GB
AMD Phenom II X6 1090t @ 3.2ghz
WD Velciraptor HD 74GB 10k rpm (boot)
Sapphire Radeon HD 5970 2 GB (old card is EVGA Geforce 8800GTS 512mb)

Old sys
AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200+
MSI K9N4 SLI board
3 GB of G.SKill DDR2

Solution

We did Beta 1.6b which final is out now, on there website. You can only post link here for photo using HTML code. Like this

4645565738_aac46f3d90_b.jpg

Power to Furry Raider

Foxler