[SOLVED] MSI 980TI Gamming 6G clock drops

Nov 6, 2019
Hello,

I currently have 2 980TI graphic cards I was previusly using in SLI, but the system was not stable, and with constant frame drops, so I run the cards individually, one is working flawless the otehr one as major clock drop from 1300 to 700mhz when in load, what can be causing this ?? The card works perfectly in workflow and windows, but when in load this happens, any firmware update I can make ? Or this is hardware related ?

Solution
A 980 is showing its age right now. I would bet its starting to die. The best way to test it is put it in another good system. If you see the same behavior that's probably the case.

However, you could take off the cooler, and apply new thermal paste, and inspect all the capacitors for damage.
This would be a hardware issue if they are both running up to date drivers NVidia does not really push Firmware updates and when they do they are bundled with driver updates.

As for WHY it is dropping well the most likely problems are
  1. Power delivery IE not enough power to the card either from the PSU or due to a bad chip on the card
  2. Bad memory. the card memory not system memory
  3. overheating. Easiest to check just watch the thermals under load
  4. Any number of other forms of damage to the card

mspencerl87

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2012
A 980 is showing its age right now. I would bet its starting to die. The best way to test it is put it in another good system. If you see the same behavior that's probably the case.

However, you could take off the cooler, and apply new thermal paste, and inspect all the capacitors for damage.

Solution