Msi 980TI Twin Frozer GPU LOAD TEMP Question

aysernasir

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2014
Hey Guys,

I recently Upgraded to MSI 980 TI Twin Frozer I Noticed that on Full load the temps reach to 81C should i be worried? or this is Normal My computer Specs are

I5 4670K Overclocked to 4.5 (Zotac Water cooler on it)
8 GB RAM
Msi 980 TI Twin Frozer
Case: ARC MID 2 (02 Intake Fans in the Front, 01 Top, One Exahust which is the Water Cooler for the CPU)

I use MSI afterburner to monitor my Temps. My Cpu is reaching 62C MAX so no issues there.

My question is i still have Space to put one more Fan at the Bottom of the case with that help? and should it be an Exhaust Fan or an Intake Fan?

Any helpful Suggestions would be amazing! thanks.

I think it's in the normal range based on benchmarks (but could possibly be lesser than it could have been).

This benchmark show a temperature levels of a reference GTX 980 Ti reaching 83C at load playing Crysis 3:
74806.png

However, this benchmark shows the MSI GTX 980 Ti, reaching 77C in OC:
graphtemps-640x401.jpg

Another review of the MSI GTX 980 Ti shows the card reaching only 75C in OC:
temp.gif

Quite possibly that interior airflow in your case would have an effect in the higher temps you are getting. If you decide on placing a bottom case fan, it must be positioned as an intake fan, as hot air naturally will be located above the cold air.

aysernasir

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2014

Thank you for your quick reply! I've seen those reviews this is why i was wondering at the same time usually those tests are on an open case which usually makes a difference in temperatures don't you think? so do you suggest to install another intake Fan? or I shouldn't worry about it?

Fineus_

Reputable
Jul 9, 2015
I'd suggest another exhaust fan rather than an intake fan, since the one exhaust fan you mention is currently part of your CPU water cooler.

It might be worth making sure everything in your case is dust free and your cables are well managed so that air flow is as smoother as possible... almost make sure the case has a bit of breathing room on all sides.

The temps you're seeing are a little on the high side, but absolutely safe to run with - in other words if you can get them down a bit then that's great, but I wouldn't worry about it as a critical issue.

aysernasir

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2014

Hey Man,

Thanks for your reply I actually just remembered that the top Fan is also an Exhaust Fan therefore 02 Intake in the front and 02 Exhaust and the Case is 02 months old and i recently made sure there is no dust anywhere. That's why i was thinking to get one more Intake at the bottom what do you think?

Fineus_

Reputable
Jul 9, 2015
I guess one more intake couldn’t hurt then but have a logical think about where air is flowing and see if you can work out where the hottest points are – I take the practical approach and (very carefully) hold my hand in various locations to see where the heat is – but of course be very careful of touching anything electronic or one of the fans! I’m sure a lot of people wouldn’t recommend doing it…

I might be wrong but isn’t the Twin Frozr one of the cards capable of completely stopping its fans when not under load? I think you can get a software app that allows you to create fan profiles for them so it might be worth seeing when the fans come on… maybe set them to spin up a bit earlier to keep the temperature under control?

aysernasir

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2014

Hey,

I actually use MSI Afterburner and i do have a custom Fan Profile for it. You are Correct it does turn off normally however once i made the profile to make the fan spin even on idle temperatures. so my Idle temps now are 35 C. I will take a picture of my RIG to see it in Person and gimme your thoughts.