News MSI Advertises GE76 Raider Laptop As a Mining Machine

bigdragon

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
MSI is now advertising its laptops for mining purposes. Meanwhile, shipments of GPUs have declined. I don't think any new GPUs went up for sale today at any retailer -- just a few used models. The supply is definitely drying up. The 3080 and 3060 Ti appear to no longer be offered for sale. MSI is probably doing this laptop advertising because they're no longer allocating GPUs for the consumer market.

I feel like I'm watching a train wreck happen, live, and the situation just keeps getting worse. I'm now in this weird place where I eagerly await Intel's entrance into and disruption of the dGPU market.

LolaGT

Reputable
Oct 31, 2020
All the new Intel entries have to do is be average middle of the pack, or not even that, just function well enough, have enough ram, and no one will be able to find and buy them either.

I feel like I'm watching a train wreck happen, live, and the situation just keeps getting worse. I'm now in this weird place where I eagerly await Intel's entrance into and disruption of the dGPU market.

g-unit1111

Titan

I would like to hope that by summer things will start getting better, but I agree. I've never seen anything like this and I've been building PCs for almost 1/2 my life now. It's truly insane what is happening to the GPU market and I hope NVIDIA and AMD start correcting the ship before it hits the iceberg, though it might be too late for that.

This is even worse than the 2018 shortage and at least that one got corrected. It may be a while before this one gets corrected.

Reactions: bigdragon

Co BIY

Splendid
All the new Intel entries have to do is be average middle of the pack, or not even that, just function well enough, have enough ram, and no one will be able to find and buy them either.

If they were better than a 1050ti from a second tier AIB manufacturer and available they would be top of the market.

If they ship with firmware/software that allows simultaneous use with the IGP then they would be pretty interesting.

Co BIY

Splendid
MSI seems to begging someone to come make them an offer for those Laptop GPUs. I'm sure they could be placed on AIBs for regular mining use .

They are already binned for low power use.

bigdragon

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
Good to see Tom's continuing to provide mining airtime.
You know what crypto miners hate most right now? Other miners. The more people that jump in, the less profit they make. I have been irked at mining info being posted to Tom's in the past, but now they should post as much of it as they possibly can. Open the flood gates and let the miners fight amongst themselves. It's not like you can buy a GPU for gaming anymore -- all models haven't restocked new in days (only used/returns).