msi aero gtx 1080

Alex Chapa

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2013
Bought a prebuilt pc from best buy in late 2017. A ibuypower Trace 931. specs listed here https://www.bestbuy.com/site/ibuypower-desktop-intel-core-i7-7700k-16gb-memory-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1080-240gb-solid-state-drive-1tb-hard-drive-black-gray/6030300.p?skuId=6030300.

It has been a great pc playing all games at ultra at 100 + frames per second as i went with a g-sync 144hz monitor. The issue i have is with the graphics card temperatures. On 99% load this card runs 82c. My cpu usage never even gets close to 60 or above load while gaming but i do notice fps drops and i sometimes wonder if its the temp of the gpu that is throttling down performance. I am starting to worry this may be to high for how much I game. So much so that I find myself capping fps to 60 and lowering settings to high....I even bought some extra fans for the case to intake air from the front of the case and expend air out the top of the case...It's a shame given the card.

Is this normal is my main question? I just barely became part of the pc master race and i feel a bit overwhelmed from all the articles and videos and conflicting opinions that i have researched. So i may be over reacting here. I am thinking of trying to sell my computer and just build one from scratch myself that some other users have helped with in another post.

Solution
82degC is roughly the throttle point for most NVidia Pascal cards.

The card will throttle the frequency/voltage down as needed so it doesn't overheat so it's a non-issue. You may lose a small amount of performance if that happens but the card won't overheat and die.

Since your FPS is a non-issue then there's no problem.

*Probably the card is hitting the 82degC point a lot since it's running right to the point of throttle since no CPU bottleneck (apparently) and no FPS cap (such as VSYNC). It's easy to estimate what the throttle amount is.

For example, if the best you can hit is 2000MHz then running 1850MHz at 82degC suggests the FPS is roughly 92.5% of what it could be with a better graphics card cooler.

Again though a relative...
82degC is roughly the throttle point for most NVidia Pascal cards.

The card will throttle the frequency/voltage down as needed so it doesn't overheat so it's a non-issue. You may lose a small amount of performance if that happens but the card won't overheat and die.

Since your FPS is a non-issue then there's no problem.

*Probably the card is hitting the 82degC point a lot since it's running right to the point of throttle since no CPU bottleneck (apparently) and no FPS cap (such as VSYNC). It's easy to estimate what the throttle amount is.

For example, if the best you can hit is 2000MHz then running 1850MHz at 82degC suggests the FPS is roughly 92.5% of what it could be with a better graphics card cooler.

Again though a relative non-issue since your FPS is high.

*having said that, for slower-paced games you can reduce the fan noise a LOT by putting an FPS cap. Not sure if NVInspector is the best choice but for example in Tomb Raider try closer to 50FPS (my GTX1080 can't maintain 2560x1440, 60FPS at max settings).

I'm guessing you may have a 1920x1080 res monitor though unless your games aren't super demanding since I can't hit 100FPS in many demanding games at 2560x1440.

Solution

Alex Chapa

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2013

I have looked into after market coolers but my main concern there is voiding my warranty on my gpu. Then on top of that messing up the card upon installation or what have you. I have not begun to tinker too much so skills are quite low....

Yes I am using a 1080 p. Was thinking of switching to 1440 p but then i read more articles about 1080 TI was recommended and blah blah blah. I am monitoring and playing with settings in MSI Afterburner. Example, right now playing mass effect andromeda on ultra setting for most part. Turned down some shadows, capped fps to 75, and turned off AA. This brought me down into the low 70's C.

But really, thanks for the reply it helped put some things into perspective! and the suggestion did help. I maybe should just be happy I get to game at all.