[SOLVED] MSI AfterBurner and GPU fans at idle

ninestories

Honorable
Apr 14, 2017
Is it better for a graphics card to be running its fans continuously, or to suddenly ratchet up from 0 RPM when it hits a certain threshold? What's harder on the physical card?

I only just noticed that using the default fan speed/temp curve in MSI AfterBurner is effectively running my GPU fans at 40% minimum anytime my PC was on. With this setting turned on my GPU (GTX 1050 Ti) idles in the high 30s, but disabled it idles about 10 degrees higher (37 vs 48). I know that GPU fans should generally last the life of the card, but if I really want to make my hardware last what is the best fan speed strategy for a PC that's on all the time and only occasionally used for gaming?

Thanks!

mwaTvo2.jpg

Solution
Is it better for a graphics card to be running its fans continuously, or to suddenly ratchet up from 0 RPM when it hits a certain threshold? What's harder on the physical card?
Dare I say, neither?
It doesn't matter if the gpu's components are operating at 40C or 70C. Both are within spec, and neither is more dangerous than the other. Now, if we're talking about components running at 90C or something, that's a different story...
It's easier on the motor to run at a constant speed - even 100% - than to constantly revv up and down.

For gpus that have 0rpm modes, it's fine for the fans to not run when the gpu isn't being used, and spin up when it is - though sometimes the browser(usually gpu acceleration) might cause it to...

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Dare I say, neither?
It doesn't matter if the gpu's components are operating at 40C or 70C. Both are within spec, and neither is more dangerous than the other. Now, if we're talking about components running at 90C or something, that's a different story...
It's easier on the motor to run at a constant speed - even 100% - than to constantly revv up and down.

For gpus that have 0rpm modes, it's fine for the fans to not run when the gpu isn't being used, and spin up when it is - though sometimes the browser(usually gpu acceleration) might cause it to spin up momentarily.
Should be a non issue, unless it's something the user triggers often.

TL;DR: Nothing to really worry about unless the fans frequently revv up and down.

Solution

ninestories

Honorable
Apr 14, 2017
TL;DR: Nothing to really worry about unless the fans frequently revv up and down.

Thanks for the explanation! Sounds like I may not even need AfterBurner's adjustments then as the GPU is operating within normal temperatures on its own. Under load, max temperatures are similar anyway (70-75C), so I may as well save the stress on the fan bearings by letting the fans idle at 0 RPM as by default they don't even kick on until around 60C anyway.

Reactions: Phaaze88