Question MSI Afterburner causing crash

kylehwuzhere

Prominent
Feb 1, 2019
After a few minutes of a game with somewhat decent graphics or furmark, my PC crashes and fans go what seems to be at their max and my monitor loses connection. This has happened a lot, and I recently upgraded my PSU to a wattage that is definitely enough, with quite a bit extra. Even with this, my PC still crashed. I read somewhere that MSI afterburner (note, i never really OCed with afterburner, just had it installed/running) could actually cause instability and may crash your PC, and after uninstalling it, lo and behold my PC stopped crashing. This has been working for 2 weeks with no problems in graphically intensive games where my PC would normally crash like before.
However, now I would like to overclock my GPU. I could find no other resource other than MSI afterburner to OC my MSI RX 580 Armor OC 8gb. It actually worked the first few times after testing some OC settings, but after putting it back to default factory settings and testing it once more it crashed. restarted PC and tried to test the default setting again, and it crashed. I really want to overclock my GPU but MSI afterburner seems to always crash my system. Is there any alternative overclocking method to MSI afterburner? or does anyone know how to fix this afterburner crash instability? note: this is the latest version and my graphics drivers are all up to date.

kylehwuzhere

Prominent
Feb 1, 2019
Just remember that quality is just as important as quantity. More quantity is useless without quality!
It could well be that your GPU is the issue here, not software.

I believe ASUS GPU Tweak also works on all NVIDIA cards.
Sorry should have clarified. I calculated that my system would use at most I think ~530 watts or so. I got a 600 watt BR PSU.