Question MSI afterburner close autommaticly when trying to play fortnite

Rui Neves

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2014
hi ,
seems that MSI afterburner is closing on Fortnite , I only use the app to control the GPU fan´s . I am a bit worried about that because I can control the fans to don´t pass of 75ºc to 77ºc on my gpu during long gameplays , but since it closes on fortnite is goes to 79ºc in some seconds .... the game let me open in again and right after I open it again the temps go down again . but is a little anoying this sittuation , seems this GPU chip seems to be very hot some times .
After doing a search about it I see that´s is a normal issue on fortnite and PUBG at least on that games .... There´s any good alternative to MSI afterburner tah I can use ? I know that AMD have the same function but the last time I checked is not as good as MSI afterburner , leading to some issues as the fan not spinning until 60ºc as it was like stock settings , so the software only works after that temperature ....
I am using the XFX GTS XXX RX 580 4gb .

There's a setting hidden away in Afterburner's properties tabs that makes sure that, when minimized, the app is completely hidden but still active. There's also a setting for the app to start automatically upon start up, and to start minimized (when minimized, it will appear as if you closed the program out entirely, but it will still be running in the background). All of these settings, from personal experience, are disabled by default, and you will have to find and enable them.

If you can get these settings enabled, minimize the program before starting Fortnite, and open up Task Manager or something similar to make sure that Afterburner is still running. I'd recommend HWinfo64 for monitoring GPU temps, as it has an extremely low performance footprint

Reactions: Rui Neves

Rui Neves

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2014
well I have set the MSI afterburner so start with windows minimized , but you´re saying that with other settings the Fortnite for example will not see the app , so it will not close it ?

Btw I already use hwinfo many times when I want to see all detailed temepratures and loads of the system , is very good for that . and is really lightweight in background .

Last edited:
It shouldn't be affecting it at all, even with both of them being open, not sure why that's happening. But at the very least try it out with Afterburner minimized first (not X'd out, that will close the program entirely and your custom fan curve/other settings will un-apply) and go from there

Reactions: Rui Neves

Rui Neves

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2014
It shouldn't be affecting it at all, even with both of them being open, not sure why that's happening. But at the very least try it out with Afterburner minimized first (not X'd out, that will close the program entirely and your custom fan curve/other settings will un-apply) and go from there
that´s what I done for every game , it starts up with the system minimized , I only open when I need it ... but on fortnite I can do alt+tab and I see the afterburner icon on windows tray disapearing ...

Rui Neves

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2014