Question MSI Afterburner Controlling GPU Temp but not CPU?

kerrbearrxo

Reputable
Mar 14, 2016
I've recently had to reformat my PC due to some errors...and as a result I'm really struggling to sort out my fans. I downloaded MSI Afterburner and set up the fan curve (I have also gone into my BIOS and done the same) now, I have it set so if it goes to 50 degrees it should spin at 50% - however, my CPU is at 50 degrees and its spinning at 25% as you can see from this picture here:

177oqq.jpg

I have force fan speed update on each period enabled etc, still not working. I have also tried the auto button and user defined button, still doesn't work.

I've done a bit of testing and worked out that the fan speed on Afterburner is only tracking my My GPU so if my GPU goes to 40, so does my fan speed. So my question is, how do I get this to also work alongside my CPU?

In the BIOS I remember I have 3 fans, and one specifically says CPU, so I know I've set that up in the BIOS to run at least 40% when over 40 degrees, so I'm super confused.

One thing to mention, when I manually make it 100% by scrolling the bar up to 100, it works fine and spins at 100% but I can't seem to get it to do this automatically, it's just stuck on 25%.

Anyone had a similar issue and know what I'm doing wrong/how to fix it? I basically want to make sure if my CPU or GPU goes 70 or above, my fans go to 100% speed.

Last edited by a moderator:

kerrbearrxo

Reputable
Mar 14, 2016
MSI Afterburner only controls the GPU portion of your computer, but it can monitor your entire system. If you want to change CPU fan speeds, you'll need to use your motherboard's fan control software or go into the BIOS.
I have gone into the BIOS and set it to be 40% fan speed at 30 degrees for CPU yet it still isn't going to 40% - any ideas on why?