[SOLVED] Msi afterburner measuring watts

tommytgc

Commendable
Mar 6, 2018
Is msi afterburner good at measuring cpu powerdraw? I saw my cpu going to 35watts max (i5-6600k) which is rated to draw about 90watts. I just want to hear your thoughts
Thanks!

Solution
I dont know why but Im getting powerdraw in watts on OSD am I wrong?

No, MSI has a 'power draw' option amongst its list of data to monitor. That's what you're probably seeing. Though I'd get a second reading from GPU-Z as well as HWinfo in case you want to compare the power draw and see what the average is or if they're getting different readings.
I dont know why but Im getting powerdraw in watts on OSD am I wrong?

No, MSI has a 'power draw' option amongst its list of data to monitor. That's what you're probably seeing. Though I'd get a second reading from GPU-Z as well as HWinfo in case you want to compare the power draw and see what the average is or if they're getting different readings.

Reactions: tommytgc
Solution

tommytgc

Commendable
Mar 6, 2018
Thanks its because I want to upgrade to rtx 2070 super that requires 650watts and I have 600watt psu so I just want to see how much headroom I have
Thanks!

Thanks its because I want to upgrade to rtx 2070 super that requires 650watts and I have 600watt psu so I just want to see how much headroom I have
Thanks!

Actually the minimum psu required for 2070 Super is 550W. 650 is the RECOMMENDED because of the PSU efficiency curve. Meaning the more power you require the less your total power output is due to AC -DC conversion turning into heat. So that 600W is fine for your next upgrade.

tommytgc

Commendable
Mar 6, 2018
Actually the minimum psu required for 2070 Super is 550W. 650 is the RECOMMENDED because of the PSU efficiency curve. Meaning the more power you require the less your total power output is due to AC -DC conversion turning into heat. So that 600W is fine for your next upgrade.
Ok thanks for helping me out I really appreciate it!