Question MSI Afterburner not letting me do anything

Peiguy

Reputable
Apr 7, 2019
I've wanted to get into overclocking so I've been watching videos on youtube on how to do overclock with MSI's Afterburner program, but the problem is that Afterburner won't let me do anything, not even set fan speeds. Why is this happening?

There's sometimes a few hoops to jump through with afterburner. In the past I have had to edit text files and registry to fully unlock all adjustable parameters. I would go read the official afterburner FAQs over at Guru3D. The software's author, Unwinder, is also there to answer more complex questions, but he hates it when someone asks noob questions when obviously not having read the manuals.

Peiguy

Reputable
Apr 7, 2019
How do I completely delete a file? I'm relatively new to Windows 10 and have no idea what im doing half of the time
I uninstalled afterburner and installed it again and it still won't let me do anything, so I downloaded precision and that wont even open up so I don't know what to do at this point

I uninstalled afterburner and installed it again and it still won't let me do anything, so I downloaded precision and that wont even open up so I don't know what to do at this point
Have you tried running EVGA Precision with executive privilege or install as administrator? Go to the EVGA folder that contains the file precisionx_64. Right click it. Left click on properties. Go to the compatibility tab. At the bottom, check run program as administrator.
MSI packages are slightly different I believe (Idon't use it). To add the Install as administrator option to the context menu for MSI packages, right-click on the Start button and select Run from the command menu. Browse to the MSI .exe and run as administrator.

EDIT: I just tried to install Afterburner from the GURU3D site. The install was unsuccessful giving me a message that there is corruption and some files need updating. WT ?
I went here: https://www.msi.com/page/afterburner chose the standard download (not the beta version) and it works fine.

Last edited:

Peiguy

Reputable
Apr 7, 2019
Have you tried running EVGA Precision with executive privilege or install as administrator? Go to the EVGA folder that contains the file precisionx_64. Right click it. Left click on properties. Go to the compatibility tab. At the bottom, check run program as administrator.
MSI packages are slightly different I believe (Idon't use it). To add the Install as administrator option to the context menu for MSI packages, right-click on the Start button and select Run from the command menu. Browse to the MSI .exe and run as administrator.

EDIT: I just tried to install Afterburner from the GURU3D site. The install was unsuccessful giving me a message that there is corruption and some files need updating. WT ?
I went here: https://www.msi.com/page/afterburner chose the standard download (not the beta version) and it works fine.
I tried running as administrator it still doesn't work just gives me the logo but doesn't actually open anything

It sounds like your Windows is out of whack. I would back up all of your important files and think about a clean install. The more important question is how did it get corrupted...and I'm guessing unstable clocks, with most likely being memory. Time for some serious stress testing for your platform.

Peiguy

Reputable
Apr 7, 2019
There's sometimes a few hoops to jump through with afterburner. In the past I have had to edit text files and registry to fully unlock all adjustable parameters. I would go read the official afterburner FAQs over at Guru3D. The software's author, Unwinder, is also there to answer more complex questions, but he hates it when someone asks noob questions when obviously not having read the manuals.
Could it be the fact that I'm using vega 8 and not a proper GPU