• Now's your chance win big! Join our community and get entered to win a RTX 2060 GPU, plus more! Join here.

Pi Cast Episode 3 streams live on Tuesday, August 4th at 2:30 pm ET (7:30 PM BST). Watch live right here!

Catch Scharon on the Tom's Hardware Show live on Thursday, August 6th at 2:00 pm ET (7:00 PM BST). Click here!

Question MSI afterburner not working on some games

May 8, 2020
Hey guys,

I mainly use MSI Afterburner for the custom fan curve and OSD functionality but I was considering doing some overclocking in the near future. It normally works very well; however, on some games, more specifically, Monster Hunter World, the custom fan curve doesn't work (the OSD is still functional). It resets to the default settings.

I have my fans to run at 50% at 50C but they run at 15% in-game and only start to climb to 20% once the temperature hits 60C. If I alt+tab to the afterburner window, I can see that the correct fan curve is selected and activated (auto+user defined curve selected). When I close the game, MSI afterburner restarts (the application closes and automatically opens) and the custom fan curve works again. Since the gpu is still at 50-60, my fans jump to ~50% at this point.

I'm not sure what the issue is as this seems to be a game-specific thing. Has anyone experienced a similar problem? Have you solved it?

Thanks!

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS