[SOLVED] MSI afterburner not working

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 26, 2022
So I have a very old GPU named: AMD Radeon 8670m
Its performance was really underwhelming so I decided to overclock it

when I try to take the sliders to something higher than default and click apply, it resets the mem clock and core clock to default.
It won't even let me underclock it

thanks for any help

I have updated everything and see no luck
diabled ulps
and reinstaled 5 times

Last edited:
Solution
Well, first of all, overclocking a GPU in a laptop is a VERY BAD idea. Even with just the stock configuration laptops tend to have extremely common problems with thermal management because there is only so much cooling that can be stuffed into such a small space. So overclocking takes that already tenuous margin and shatters it, practically guaranteeing you WILL overheat something and most likely render it unusable within days or even hours. It's a bad idea and I highly recommend NOT doing it.

Furthermore, the very small gain in performance you MIGHT get from overclocking such an old, weak, graphics adapter (That was released in 2013, 9 years ago) would not be enough to even give you the ability to do anything realistically better...
Well, first of all, overclocking a GPU in a laptop is a VERY BAD idea. Even with just the stock configuration laptops tend to have extremely common problems with thermal management because there is only so much cooling that can be stuffed into such a small space. So overclocking takes that already tenuous margin and shatters it, practically guaranteeing you WILL overheat something and most likely render it unusable within days or even hours. It's a bad idea and I highly recommend NOT doing it.

Furthermore, the very small gain in performance you MIGHT get from overclocking such an old, weak, graphics adapter (That was released in 2013, 9 years ago) would not be enough to even give you the ability to do anything realistically better than without overclocking as it's performance is simply far too weak for gaming. Even when it was released it was GROSSLY outperformed by the very weakest AMD discreet graphics card of that time, the R7 240, which itself was not enough to even play the most basic AAA games at the lowest settings, not playably.

If you don't want to burn up what you have already, I'd refrain from doing two things.

One, don't overclock it.

Two, don't play any games on it that are more demanding than browser based games or very, VERY low intensity PC games that don't suggest a Passmark score higher than 500. What you have isn't meant for gaming and you're likely to burn up what you have if you pursue it.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.